• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attacked fish.

Luciën

20240822_114352.jpg
My nanacara got attacked by its female. I've put him in a floating box now because she doesn't leave him alone. Can I do something about it and will he survive this?

Are you sure that was caused by an attack?

Are you sure that was caused by an attack?
100%, yesterday he was just fine and today I found him like that. The female just kept chasing him around the tank something she's never done like that before not even with her fry always kept a fairly small territory. Even now in the floating box she keeps flaring at him.

OK, I'm not an injury expert @Luciën , but I researched Popeye caused by trauma. Seems that there are comments that the fish could recover naturally - keeping them away from the trauma causer and also keep the water parameters very very good for the impacted fish. Some suggest a level of salt to help healing, but most say good water quality, observation and being kept away from further trauma.

100%, yesterday he was just fine and today I found him like that. The female just kept chasing him around the tank something she's never done like that before

Could be bacterial or a building up of air behind the eye. When fish get popeye other fish may attack them due to their unusual and erratic behaviour.

Can I do something about it and will he survive this?

It looks bad but fish can survive this. In addition to what @Bradders has already covered, be sure any water changes you do are temperature matched. Keep an eye on your other fish to see if anything else is affected. If so, you can treat with anti fungal meds if it’s a larger tank wide issue.

100%, yesterday he was just fine and today I found him like that. The female just kept chasing him around the tank something she's never done like that before not even with her fry always kept a fairly small territory. Even now in the floating box she keeps flaring at him.

Nanacara anomala are usually bred then separated as the female does the sole rearing? Are the fry new? Might need to move the male out temporarily if so. Could explain the change in behaviour.

Nanacara anomala are usually bred then separated as the female does the sole rearing? Are the fry new? Might need to move the male out temporarily if so. Could explain the change in behaviour.
Well I don't see fry yet. She had a few groups before but never seen one surfive. I think she has eggs and the male just passed thru at the wrong time. Moved the floating box to the other side of the tank and now he's left alone.

OK, I'm not an injury expert @Luciën , but I researched Popeye caused by trauma. Seems that there are comments that the fish could recover naturally - keeping them away from the trauma causer and also keep the water parameters very very good for the impacted fish. Some suggest a level of salt to help healing, but most say good water quality, observation and being kept away from further trauma.
Thanks found the same page i guess doing a google search. 🙂 Hope it will restore he is one of my favourite fish.

Last edited:
How it will restore he is one of my favourite fish.

Got a second opinion from someone at work @Luciën , hope you don’t mind.

Highly likely a water quality issue and is the underlying problem. Even a return to health may be temporary if unresolved, it’s pretty severe and could result in the loss of an eye.

Most proactive response would be to remove to a separate tank and treat with Acriflavine.

Got a second opinion from someone at work @Luciën , hope you don’t mind.
No i don't mind at all more input in the matter is better.
Highly likely a water quality issue and is the underlying problem. Even a return to health may be temporary if unresolved, it’s pretty severe and could result in the loss of an eye.
Water quality is a strange thing I've done 3x 50% water change this week. The fish itself looks healthy except for the eye and an bite from his pectoral fin on the same side as the eye.. Will put him in another tank and look if I can find Acriflavine. But i'm in doubt it is the case of water quality.

It's still a bit popping out but not nearly so extreme as yesterday.
That does seem like a trauma injury to me. But ensuring everything else is great like water conditions etc is prudent.

Back