• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Attaching riccia via super glue?

Jamie williams

Seedling
As above will this work i want to attach it to this mesh stuff via super glue will it work ? Thanks
Screenshot_20170312-142239.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That will be problematic.. :) Riccia Fluitans is actualy a floater, i tonly sinks to the bottom during dormancy (winter time in cold climates).
In a way you can compare it's propagation a bit like duckweed, it just splits in 2 and grows on. Tho, it's a crystalwort (liverwort moss) and it does grow hair roots (rhizoids) but these are very fragile.. Best example to understand is looking at this microscopic cross section of a Riccia sp.
Riccia_sorocarpa-QSDF.jpg

Those tiny short filaments at it's underside are the rhizoids, it is so fragile that when growing Riccia submersed its own buoyancy can rip it off any surface it attached too. Actualy its not even natural for Riccia to attach submersed, it rather likes muddy riverbanks. :) Or uses other vegitation to grow into with clumps.

So, it thus formes clumps, because it grows like a fork and intertwines its leaves with eachother and also can attach to eacother with it's rhizomes.
Looking at bellow picture is the best example to see how it grows into eachother.
Riccia%20fluitans%204,%20Watervorkje,%20Saxifraga-Jan%20van%20de%20Wiel.jpg

Now thats why best practice to attach it is to take such a clump and tie it to a piece of wood or rock. When it grows on it will hook into eachother till it grows in such a size that is bouancy will break it apart.. When using mesh than this is the best way to use it.
teichlebermoos--riccia-fluitans__c2c290dbb55cf7a9d35990ab4a08ff71.jpg

This is also how the finer maze stainles steel mesh in the lfs is propagated, put some mesh on top of some ricia and wait for it to grow through and over it.. If the mesh size is to small it likely wont easily grow through. No glue needed. :)

You can actually use very fine mesh to keep riccia together. I put a clump into a SMALL fish net suspended in my shrimp tank until I had a tank for it. Over the weeks, it actually sneaked through the fine mesh and now I'm wondering whether to just cut the mesh off its frame and sew it into a ball.

As above will this work i want to attach it to this mesh stuff via super glue will it work ? Thanks View attachment 104259

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Make it easier on yourself. Cut two pieces of the size and shape you need, then sandwich some riccia on the middle and sew the mesh together.

With gaps the size of the ones on your mesh, I assure you they can grow through. Supergluing may work but you'll find yourself having to trim quite soon since the entire plants are on top of the mesh with nothing to hold them down and after a short time, the glued parts would have died off aka floating riccia.

I have superglued this plant to wood but it's always floating around the tank, if I move it when doing maintenance it's very easily dislodged in my little experience

Back