Aquatic pond compost.

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by hogan53, 24 Jul 2011.

1. hogan53

hogan53 Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi gang@ukaps
    Is aquatic pond compost a viable substitute to other plant media/substrate for a planted aquarium?
    Or does it have different fertilizers? Or are other ferts/traces added or removed?
    I know there is grit added to weight the compost down.Or could the whole thing get messy :rolleyes:
    Just a thought :idea:
    Cheers
    hoggie

2. BigTom

BigTom Member

I've seen MicracleGro aquatic compost used a few times in el natural setups... the exact contents of a particular bag of compost will probably vary quite a lot in terms of nutrient ratios, added fertilisers, amount of assorted crap, bits of wood, etc.

Personally I'd go for something as lean as possible when using compost in a planted tank (I used a John Innes mix in mine, forget which one exactly).

3. hogan53

Hi Tom
    Cheers
    Do you top the compost with substrate?
    hoggie

4. BigTom

BigTom Member

I cut the compost 50/50 with sand then capped with pure sand, but I've seen some tanks that are literally just soil from the back garden... you're bugggered if you ever want to move stuff around if you do that though.

5. hogan53

Very interesting :thumbup:
    hoggie