• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquatic pond compost.

G H Nelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi gang@ukaps
Is aquatic pond compost a viable substitute to other plant media/substrate for a planted aquarium?
Or does it have different fertilizers? Or are other ferts/traces added or removed?
I know there is grit added to weight the compost down.Or could the whole thing get messy :rolleyes:
Just a thought :idea:
Cheers
hoggie

I've seen MicracleGro aquatic compost used a few times in el natural setups... the exact contents of a particular bag of compost will probably vary quite a lot in terms of nutrient ratios, added fertilisers, amount of assorted crap, bits of wood, etc.

Personally I'd go for something as lean as possible when using compost in a planted tank (I used a John Innes mix in mine, forget which one exactly).

BigTom said:
I cut the compost 50/50 with sand then capped with pure sand, but I've seen some tanks that are literally just soil from the back garden... you're buggered if you ever want to move stuff around if you do that though.
Very interesting :thumbup:
hoggie

Back