• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium Plant Food UK Closing Down

Thanks for the response @dw1305, I've taken your advise on backing off on the kh as it seems that things are safer at a slightly lower pH. Think I got overly cautious about running out of buffer and crashing pH when I first started with co2. I have added 3x 4 inch discus this weekend who are settling in well. They will be happier closer to my local tap water parameters 🤞and should add some natural ferts to system. Once they have established I can see where the balance is and supplement micros and macros where necessary. Also gives me more time to get a bit more reading done😉

Hi all,
Think I got overly cautious about running out of buffer and crashing pH when I first started with co2
I'll be honest I would always worry more about the risk of asphyxiation with CO2 and that is <"why I don't (and won't) use it">. I'll add @REDSTEVEO he is/was? a Discus keeper.
Once they have established I can see where the balance is and supplement micros and macros where necessary.
That is why I like the <"Duckweed Index">, you get feedback on nutrient status from the plants. I've never kept Discus, but I've talked a bit with <"Larry Waybright"> and he is a fantastic (Discus) fish keeper.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
@Happi
@dw1305
@Zeus.

Many thanks for the replies. Please accept my apologies for the delay in thanking you (I've not felt too great lately - still recovering from abdominal surgery and now also suffering with Vertigo)
I will try and get my head around the maths I need to do now that @Happi has confirmed his dosage calculations for Solufeed 2:1:4 / Solufeed Sodium free TEC are based on US Gallons. This will take a back seat at the moment as my TMC AquaControl8 lighting unit controlling the 3 AquaRay GroBeam Ultima 1500ND tiles installed has now given up the ghost, so there is no lighting presently. Annoyingly (given the over £700 cost of these) the 5 year guarantee expired in May last year!!.....and the controller looks like its now discontinued.

Thanks again all for your help
Phil

Hi all,
Welcome to UKAPS,
Is there anyone that can help me with the diy fertilizer
You can use a <"horticultural fertiliser">, as long as it doesn't have too high a proportion <"of ammonium salts">.
There aren't really <"Aquarium fertilisers">, these are just fertilisers with the magic word <"Aquarium"> added, but if you did want to buy an Aquarium one? Then there are options that work, the problem is <"just the cost">. If I was going down this route <"TNC Complete?">
Have a look at <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">.

cheers Darrel

I'm just struggling to get all the numbers right ,because I don't know what the percentage must be or what is important and what isn't

Thank you for your reply and I'm from south africa

Is there anyone that can help me with the diy fertilizer
You could use a calculator like this to help work the numbers out.

Or this if the above is to complicated try this.

Failing that tell us what salts you have, some details of the tank and what you want to achieve and we will try and help work it out for you 😀

Allot of us have different sized tanks
My own biggest tank is a 600L tank with over 60 anubias in
I keep my tanks with only one species of plant but different types and at the moment I have noticed that some of my new leaves developed with pieces missing like it's been eaten and I basically want to find a method in mixing a AIO fertilizer so that it's easy for everyone here to make it and use it ,currently in my own tank it's a struggle because of me only having anubias, some of my older leaves has holes and some new growth really just looks bad 👎
At the moment I don't have any salts but I am doing research on this to locate it

Attachments

• 20231224_082037.jpg
    20231224_082037.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
  • 20231224_082043.jpg
    20231224_082043.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20231224_082048.jpg
    20231224_082048.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231224_082051.jpg
    20231224_082051.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231224_082053.jpg
    20231224_082053.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20231224_082056.jpg
    20231224_082056.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231224_082105.jpg
    20231224_082105.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231224_185650.jpg
    20231224_185650.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I'm basically trying to make a AIO fertilizer that will give my plants everything it requires to grow at its best but without any need of co2 and when it works ill then share the recipe and method to the whole south africa

I'm basically trying to make a AIO fertilizer that will give my plants everything it requires to grow at its best but without any need of co2 and when it works ill then share the recipe and method to the whole south africa
It’s not a cut and dry as this. Each tank is different and requires adjustments depending on plant and fish growth. AIO fertiliser mixes are a great way to start.

Back