• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium and Natural History Books

I thought I would look up some books I purchased in my youth
Blimey, I had no idea of their apparent value
Well out of date by now though

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
Crikey @fredi just looked them up, those books are a ridiculous price. Fortunately for me I’m not the biggest catfish fan otherwise I’d bankrupt myself trying to buy them 😁

I do like a catfish😊, even as a boy I liked them, megladorus irwini anyone 😂😂, crazy purchase, got much too big, I also had a red tail at one point, went from 11/2” to 15” in no time
I learned my lesson though, or perhaps not L027 get pretty large too
I was rather surprised at their apparent “value”

Not for sale though (only stating this as I wouldn’t want anyone thinking that I was placing a sly advert😂😂)
Crikey @fredi just looked them up, those books are a ridiculous price. Fortunately for me I’m not the biggest catfish fan otherwise I’d bankrupt myself trying to buy them 😁

Hi all,

It is bizarre what some of these <"books are reputedly worth">. I own a copy of Mile Hellweg's <"Culturing Live Foods: A Step by Step Guide for Culturing One's Own Food for the Home Aquarium" >which I purchased for the sterling equivalent of $35.

Cheap today at £189

cheers Darrel
I collect a few books (not aquaria related), I started many years ago when I developed an interest in the Battle of Britain, I have around 200😂
I do have one piece of fiction, Lord of the rings (late copy given as a present)

Here's my latest addition.
View attachment 193347

The books a bit dated but I still enjoy reading it.
I think once you start buying these books it soon becomes addictive, and based on the feedback of the last couple of posts I've just ordered The Natural Aquarium at a bargin price of £3.24.
Love this book! This is the one that really made me want to keep a planted tank, with heating cables no less!

For all your Book lovers this might be of interest... The 2nd hand bookstore "De Slegte" They have a huge collection divided over 7 different locations in The Netherlands and Belgium. They do not discriminate languages and store whatever they get their hands on, have Dutch, German, English and French editions in their collection. And a search filter for Title or ISBN... Most importantly they don't go for the ridiculous collector items prices. :)

A few from the 1980's English editions are in their current collection.
cms_visual_1382282.jpg_1589641771000_600x902.jpg

cms_visual_1998769.jpg_1684240832000_600x780.jpg

@bazz thanks for posting, It’s one book I’ve somehow overlooked. I managed to find a copy for a few quid. Hopefully it’ll turn up soon and in fairly decent condition.

Took delivery of a copy of Encyclopaedia of Water Plants yesterday. This copy wasn’t in too bad condition despite its age; published in 1967. Perhaps a little on the grubby side but it wiped down okay. Still smells fusty though 🙂

Fantastic book, describing over 200 species, each beautifully illustrated. It subdivides plants by biological type, 10 in total. That is they are grouped according to the manor in which they grow, which I think is really helpful, especially for someone just starting out.

Thoroughly recommend. If you can find a copy at reasonable price and in decent readable condition, buy it.

IMG_8429.jpeg
IMG_8430.jpeg
IMG_8432.jpeg

Back