• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

APT zero/1 DIY solution

BuffBall

Have not used dry salts at all, so not sure what to buy at all. Ive been using TNC complete so far with my previous 100L inert gravel substrate, but have switched to a aquasoil now.

I would like to use APT zero/1 to make my rotalas and red root floaters red.

Im UK based so ive seen Aqua care plants sell some dry salts, but im very confused on which ones to get and how much to use. I thought might as well try and see how it would be to get dry salts + i would have very good value for money.

I do have a bottom of EasyLife Profito and half a bottom of fluval grow + (which says its expired, but have been using it on my shrimp tank) so im not sure how simillar these are to the apt zero.

Is there a list already on which salts I would need and the ratio to mix them, pref in grams to distilled water.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Hi all,
Im UK based so ive seen Aqua care plants sell some dry salts, but im very confused on which ones to get and how much to use. I thought might as well try and see how it would be to get dry salts + i would have very good value for money.
Just use a horticultural fertiliser <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">. This is the nutrient breakdown.

solufeed_elemental-jpg-jpg.jpg

I would like to use APT zero/1 to make my rotalas and red root floaters red.
I'd just use an "all in one" fertiliser mix, but at a low dosage rate. If your <"plants are nitrogen limited"> they aren't going to grow anywhere near their optimal growth rate, so you can use lean dosing.

cheers Darrel

Higher lighting levels and longer lighting duration...will increase the chances of turning both plant sp's red...l don't bother with limiting Nitrate!
As this could have a negative affect on other plant species that l have in the aquarium.
Only thing you need to watch out for is Green Thread Algae as this algae just loves the same lighting levels as plants you are trying to increase the red/pink colours on!
Cheers

Hi all,

Just use a horticultural fertiliser <"Solufeed 2:1:4 and Solufeed Sodium Free TEC or Solufeed Coir TEC Combination">. This is the nutrient breakdown.

View attachment 219374

I'd just use an "all in one" fertiliser mix, but at a low dosage rate. If your <"plants are nitrogen limited"> they aren't going to grow anywhere near their optimal growth rate, so you can use lean dosing.

cheers Darrel
Been reading a bit about the solufeed ferts, still fully clueless on dry salts but I think I'm getting the jist of it now.

If I were to create mimic apt zero, would I just use the solufeed free tec and some potassium? Or would I be better of with just a smaller dose of both combined.

As much as I love a fast growth, I know I would prefer the smaller growth onces the tank is grown in a bit.

I've also put the water quality report of my area here in west London Uxbridge. Maybe someone could give me a brief on my nitrates or something when using solufeed as it's a lot of gibberish to me.

Thanks a lot btw, loving all the info on this forum

Attachments

• AF059 (1).pdf
    383.8 KB · Views: 18
Higher lighting levels and longer lighting duration...will increase the chances of turning both plant sp's red...l don't bother with limiting Nitrate!
As this could have a negative affect on other plant species that l have in the aquarium.
Only thing you need to watch out for is Green Thread Algae as this algae just loves the same lighting levels as plants you are trying to increase the red/pink colours on!
Cheers
Huh that's the first time I've actually read that longer period will increase the redness. Usually all the YouTubers just say nitrogen limitation and high light.

I did struggle a lot with long string algae in my last scape which is why I re did it. Hoping I avoid that a bit. Currently have lights for 7 hours, maybe will increase the period to 8-9 in the following weeks?. I did order a week aqua a430 pro for the 20 gallon so there's still a lot of experimenting with that.

Is higher light and longer photo period the answer to red plants in ei dosing tho? I've very curious now

Hi all,
If I were to create mimic apt zero, would I just use the solufeed free tec and some potassium? Or would I be better of with just a smaller dose of both combined.
I'd go with the combined "all in one" and just use lean dosing. I don't actually use a set fertiliser addition, I just use the <"visual aspect"> of the <"Duckweed Index">.

cheers Darrel

Huh that's the first time I've actually read that longer period will increase the redness. Usually all the YouTubers just say nitrogen limitation and high light.

I did struggle a lot with long string algae in my last scape which is why I re did it. Hoping I avoid that a bit. Currently have lights for 7 hours, maybe will increase the period to 8-9 in the following weeks?. I did order a week aqua a430 pro for the 20 gallon so there's still a lot of experimenting with that.

Is higher light and longer photo period the answer to red plants in ei dosing tho? I've very curious now

Back