• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Anubias barteri...good news and bad news?

Yep, as I said; the initiated flowers can stay dormant for a really long time, untill they appear as flowers. So if they arise from "old" nodes (at the base of the leaf), they're pretty surely pre-made. ..............BUT ............. if they appear from nodes, grown while under water, you're right, they'll have to be created under water. This is defenitely happening, sometimes, but really not the rule ( and still not a sign, to be interpreted as especially good health)
My priority here was not to bring forward all and every info on Anubias flowers, but primerily to kill the myth, I see ever so often, that these flowers are a desired feature, showing especially good health of the plant. They're not !!!
Sorry if that gave reason to confusion😉
Mick.

Reactions: tim
Just to clarify; plants don't flower under water, since they can't rely on pollinaters there (so the ones that went down that path went extinct - simple Darwin-ism 😉)
Vallisneria would come close, since they release their pollen from base of plant, under water. This will flow to surface, riding on surface-tension, to meet the female flower, sitting on a looooong, flexible stem, resting on the same surface-tension. An unusual way of doing it..........🙄
Mick.

- and Tim.......the fact of "timing" on your flowering, suggests something "triggers" the sleeping beauties to wake up (change in temp., chemistry, intensity of light .......... or whatever occurs every year in june/july)
Mick.

Yep, as I said; the initiated flowers can stay dormant for a really long time, untill they appear as flowers. So if they arise from "old" nodes (at the base of the leaf), they're pretty surely pre-made. ..............BUT ............. if they appear from nodes, grown while under water, you're right, they'll have to be created under water. This is defenitely happening, sometimes, but really not the rule ( and still not a sign, to be interpreted as especially good health)
My priority here was not to bring forward all and every info on Anubias flowers, but primerily to kill the myth, I see ever so often, that these flowers are a desired feature, showing especially good health of the plant. They're not !!!
Sorry if that gave reason to confusion😉
Mick.

Thanks for that.
Thought it was too good to be true 😡

Back