• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Another Hydor Heater Failure...

Yep, got me worried too! Went out at lunchtime and bagged one… just have to work out the wiring. Do you have the controller set to a higher temperature or lower than the heater?
14435281446_8fa0738869_c_d.jpg
which shop was yours from mr t?

which shop was yours from mr t?

In my panic I ended up walking to Charterhouse at lunchtime (2x as expensive as ebay) £25ish.

Having a quick look online at wiring this thing up - anyone with knowledge of not killing themselves mixing water and electric, is this correct:
14457507922_f80e55a983_z_d.jpg

Yes but I'd just run the brown wire between the power supply and heating, directly to the connector block instead of doubling up in the STC terminals.

Check the diagram on the previous page, it's the simplest I've seen without having wires trailing all over making it look more complicated than it is :crazy::D

That's a nightmare to get home to... I hope Hydor at least gives you compensation for the proce of the heater, but compensating for the fish/plants/distress they put you through would be the right thing to do.

Not heard back from them yet… Not exactly falling over themselves to get in touch lol.

Definitely wasn't a case of a knocked dial on the heater as the way the tank was set up, the heater was down the back and you could only get to it if you pulled the shelves out that are beside the tank.

Quite tempted to go down the wet pet route of something like a GT or a JD with this tank. Or just sell it and put a pot plant in the space haha. It's an old juwel vision that was scratched to hell before I even got it so not exactly a top dollar tank :p

Hydor externals got pulled from the UK market for a few months and then recently reappeared and now the prices have gone up. I heard a rumour that Hydor had pulled the stock while they fixed a fault so I guess that means the new models might be more reliable. That's just a rumour though so I don't know for sure, does anybody?

Its a real shame. I hear all these people using them for years with no problem. I had 2 fail in the last 18 months. Maybe they skimped on the build quality when demand got higher?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Its a real shame. I hear all these people using them for years with no problem. I had 2 fail in the last 18 months. Maybe they skimped on the build quality when demand got higher?

Did yours 'stick on' or just stop working Al?

Thankfully both of mine failed to heat

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk

I saw mine did the same.

I tried my best to clean the internal sleeve of the heater and it seemed to do a job like.
Back working again.

Strange lol

Oh really. I will have to have a look into that.

Hey guys, I have ordered one of the STC 1000 controllers from ebay, now looking at heaters. I'm thinking of running 2 cheap heaters in parallel into the unit. If one fails and overheats, the controller will switch it off, and if one fails and under heats, the other heater will be on for longer to heat the tank as directed by the controller, but should hold tank temperature until I can get a spare heater in.
Looking to go marine with this tank now so definitely want the temperature to be reliable, so thanks for the controller recommendation. Probably will have some stuff up for sale soon to help fund the new project. Will most certainly be selling at least one other tank, t5 luminaires and maybe some co2 stuff too.[DOUBLEPOST=1404129685][/DOUBLEPOST]I have also heard back from hydor asking for the product model, batch number and some pictures of the heater in situ to prove it was installed upright as instructed. Apparently I may also have to send the heater away for testing.

It's funny that aquarium manufacturers get away with so much stuff when their electrical devices fail and damage your property.
If you get a laptop that burns your table due to overheating you'd be setup for a big claim because it's dangerous to your safety and consider that the table is dead, not a live fish though I agree the table can go on fire and burn you too. But water and failed electrics sounds even worse when used per manufacturers specifications.

I'd kindly ask them to give you reimbursement for your losses. If you've used the device as it should have been used, you have a claim but they won't do anything unless you threaten with a solicitor. I am only saying if you want to go ahead with it. They will want to test the heater of course so you'll have to send it to them.

Well I'm planning lots of corals, but it will be slowly stocked as everything is more expensive on the salty side! Although I've managed to pick up some second hand gear at a reasonable price so that's good.
I can put some pictures in the photos section once I get up and running :)

I can put some pictures in the photos section once I get up and running
Hey, that would be brilliant! I think we all have a itch we want to scratch when it comes to a marine tank. I'd love to give it a go in the future - a simple island/outcrop with one coral type. Loads of hard work and always on the edge of complete disaster from what I understand.

Hahaha something like that :p Although it's not much more work than the high tech tanks in all honesty - just need to test for a few more things, since corals use magnesium and calcium to grow and phosphate causes algae :p

An update on this, hydor now have my heater away for testing and also have a list of my stock that I lost. They also offered me an internal 300w heater as a replacement free of charge, but it's not really necessary since their last heater killed everything in the tank so I don't really have a requirement for a heater at the moment… lol. Will see what their "engineers" come back with :)

Back