• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Another cheap LED light thread

Progen

So I've been eyeing this for about a week plus now every since I saw them. I'll need more lights since I have a much bigger project in mind.

They have two versions. One with all white bulbs and the other a mixture of blue and white with blue being the majority.

OeLecLM.jpg

If you look carefully, you can see the location markings W and B so you know exactly how many blues there are in the other type.

b1oh3jb.jpg

The LED density is about double that of the other cheap one I reviewed a few months ago and which a pair of are still doing my 55G very well.

It's seriously amazing how many features they can cram into something so cheap. Look at the swivel mounts.

0geNHOV.jpg

The swivel mount in action. Workmanship is good. Tell me it costs 5 times more than the pittance I'd paid and I won't blink.

W3gWvsm.jpg

The phone's camera app cannot process and display the actual perceived brightness which is slightly higher than in the photo. Light was placed in the middle of the tank. Coverage pretty decent. This is a 48" x 18" x 18" tank.

8db0yBA.jpg

Notice how sleek it is. It has two modes. One with all LEDs on and the other with 1/2 off.

ZWn23hb.jpg

So how much is it? How about USD20? That's for a 48" light!

No blahblahblahblah. That's what it costs brand new. I'll be honest and say it probably won't grow a nice dense carpet of HC at 20" to substrate but for a lot of plants out there, I dare say it's enough.

Considering that it's about 10 times cheaper than a Chihiros A series of equivalent length (A1201), what more can you ask for?

I'm not saying for sure that they are but the LEDs look like the ones on the Chihiros A series. Just that the Chihiros lights have very high LED density but they also run very hot at near full to full brightness whereas this cheap pretender runs rather cool at a rated 54w.

Last edited:
CpahqMQ.jpg

Here's a Chihiros A series on top of it. Just in case it's not immediately apparent, the darker one on the right is the Chihiros.

zCs3SB2.jpg

Here it is with the other cheapo on the left. From this photo, it looks like the older one has slightly bigger LEDs while the other makes up for it with numbers.

U0JfjWd.jpg

At full brightness. Made my Java ferns and anubiases go nuts. The blyxa and hellanthiums were throwing out bubbles every now and then too.

Have discovered a little flaw. It doesn't remember its last setting and defaults to the lower verified setting everytime power comes on. :confused:

No wonder because I was wondering why was it that there were lots of oxygen bubbles on certain days (when I had triple clicked it) and less on others.

Have discovered a little flaw. It doesn't remember its last setting and defaults to the lower verified setting everytime power comes on. :confused:

No wonder because I was wondering why was it that there were lots of oxygen bubbles on certain days (when I had triple clicked it) and less on others.
I've had the same issue with cheap lights before. They either change to the next setting or reset to a specific setting every time power comes on...

Back