• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angels???

Is it possible to sex angels when they are young?
If so what would be the best ratio of males to females, is it 1:1 or more like 1:2?

Reliably? No, not really. There are ways, but they're probably not practical for your purposes. There is sometimes success with males being larger, but less plump, and having more pronounced foreheads, but to be honest with scalare it's not generally so simple. If you want to breed them you'll need 1:1 for the pair, they don't do harems. I can't honestly say that the females are much more placid or aggressive than the males. I've had nutters from both genders.

If you want a definite answer then the breeding tubes look different (more pointed in the males) and there are hormonal ways of getting these to show (I used to use water from a breeding pair's tank), but as I said, not really practical for you and doesn't work until they reach a certain age.

Not really! Some very experienced keepers might be able to have a go at venting them but it won't be easy(if it's possible at all) with young fish. Another reason for buying a good sized group and let them pick their own mate. You also get a much more stable pair bond in cichlids if you let them select their own mates.

Thanks Ed. looks like I am destined to get a group of 6 or so and hope that there is a gender mix. Then hopefully they will form happy couples.

Back