• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Angelfish and discus together

i thought angelfish utilise hight too. the tank is 60cm high, but if its too small then its too small. I am looking into smaller fish, at the moment no fish is to be ruled out i still have until end of june to decide on the tank, but i am really grateful for all your advice people of ukaps. it will defiantly stop me making some big errors in judgement.

They do. I mean my 350 is 60+ cm height inclusive of substrate and about 120cm length ways. I do get some aggression when they pair up, but they lay and the eggs get eaten as the tank isnt suitable for a breeding set up. I chose it this way and filled in with rainbow emperors so when the angels get bigger they wont become food.

I wouldn't over think it. As long as you keep on top of the cleaning and watch your feeding regime etc. I would say its ok to keep a pair of discus or angels in the tank no problem.
I do run 2 x jbl filters. Before I had e1500 which equated to (apparently) 2800lph filtration. That died over time and now I have 2 x e902 filters which is 1800 lph filtration.

Having adequate filtration is important and whilst mine was overkill as originally the tank was set up for a bunch of discus who furiously loved eaten beefheart. The tank itself has a double function as a planted tank which aids alot to the fish and cycling.
Rams are cool fish and yes rainbows can become bigger, but again as long as the filtration, cleaning and feeding regime is good you will have a happy tank for many years. You over time will work out whats best. In terms of maintaining, stocking levels, lighting, plants etc. Each tank set up is different.

i feel i could be good at keeping angelfish, i have kept marine tangs and marine angelfish before, both have poor digestion so poop our most of what they eat. This makes them very messy, i did do regular water changes and had excellent filtration. but the tank had a lot of flow which made it hard for detritus and cyanobacteria to get a foot hold. again i dont want the fish to breed. i think its the pairing off that causes problems.

The fact you are marine knowledge trumps alot of what freshwater keeping can be. Its being on top of things and resetting etc.

Then the solution to that is, see if the fish shop you are purchasing from are happy to take back some fish for credit note if that becomes the problem.
With me its never the problem. I analyse what I have, what I would like to keep and know what I must do to keep the fish and plants happy. I have also seen tanks where they are fully overstocked and it could be overbreeding, lack of knowledge, unwillingness to have a morale for the fish wellbeing etc. But this is on the owner. Others can tell you what to do, and sometimes people like learning from mistakes too.

You are seeking knowledge and confirmation at the same time. For me I would say go for what you want. :)

I have an 325l tank with around 100l sump, got 6 scalare in it. Leaning towards a bigger tank now that they grow up. Some have made couples and when they spawn do like to claim almost 50% of the tank space. For the rest I have a quite peaceful group.
If you want to keep a couple you must know if they are already pairing up at the lfs..

Back