• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Andyh's 60L kitchen tank

andyh

Hey guys,

IF YOU WANT TO SKIP ALL MY WAFFLE AND PRE-AMBLINGS, GO TO PAGE 5 FOR THE FIRST PICS OF THE SCAPE! :thumbup:

This is the start of my journal which will cover the complete development and installation of a 60l planted tank in my kitchen to be located on the kitchen worktop. (understanding Wife!)

I have already ordered the tank and that will be with by the end of July (24x12x12 Optiwhite braceless with bonded black background from Aquariums Ltd.)
I am limited on space on this project so it should be a great challenge getting it all to fit/hidden in the corner of my kitchen. Over then next few days i will take some pics to show you the propsed tank location. I then plan to try and keep a full journal of the tank from the beginning to completion (when is that?)

Kit List So far:

1.Arcadia 4x24w t5 luminaire (need to make custom legs so it will fit under the kitchen cupboards! any ideas and help welcomed!)
2. JBL ProFlora u402 CO2 kit with Solenoid. (I would welcome some suggestions on diffusers for my co2 as the one with the JBL is the most ugly thing ever!)
3. ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
4. ADA Power sand
5. ADA Forest Sand Xingu
6. Eheim External Filter

On the hardware side still looking for at Heater (probably going to go for a Hydor external) and Glassware. I am not really sold on the Glass lilly pipes side of things what do people recommend?

I am currently look at Dragon stone and petrified wood, but cant decide!

I will try and get some pics up soon!

AndyH :D

Re: New Project "60L kitchen tank"

I think that no visable lighting would look realy good and agree with the above, my kitchen has lighting under the units (no fish tank) and they cant be seen. i saves messing abot with a luminair which you could sell!! :D

Sounds like a great project!

To add to what the others have said about the lighting, it also means you should be able to hide the wiring a lot more easily :)

yes guys i hear what your saying, i think i may consider it. Although the idea was to have it the corner for better viewing. I have had a slightly smaller tank there previously, fish and basic plants and it looked great. The mat in the bag indicates the size of tank and proposed locations.

The Original Location: Diagonal Position
web.jpg

Your suggested location: Straight under the cupboard
web.jpg

The only problem with the straight under the cupboard is the access, with the diagonal tank position it allows good access from the left as there is no cupboard above that part of the tank, it allows easier access for pruning and general tank maintenance.

I plan to drill a 60mm hole and drop through the counter with my filter hoses, co2 and heater in the cupboard below. Right in the back corner of the first pic. I have already sourced a nice cable tidy/whole cover in dark grey to hide the hole.

Ah yes, I see your dilemma :? you might still have issues with a luminaire over the tank, as I suspect it'll be obstructed by the cabinet when trying to open it. Mind, at least you could simply remove it for access, as apose to getting under the cabinet!

SteveUK said:
Ah yes, I see your dilemma :? you might still have issues with a luminaire over the tank, as I suspect it'll be obstructed by the cabinet when trying to open it. Mind, at least you could simply remove it for access, as apose to getting under the cabinet!

Yes bang on Steve, i don't mind having to lift the luminaire off, and it defo wont open! :D

As you can see i dont think it would look right straight under the unit. Hence why i am swinging more towards the diagonal.

You may also want to consider a closed hood... I notice the cooker is quite close. Just thinking of oil and other cooking polutants that might be present in the air whilst cooking, and possible issues getting into the water colum? I might be being over sensitive there! :)

SteveUK said:
You may also want to consider a closed hood... I notice the cooker is quite close. Just thinking of oil and other cooking polutants that might be present in the air whilst cooking, and possible issues getting into the water colum? I might be being over sensitive there! :)

Steve my previous tank was there two years with open top and no problems, it had Crystal red shrimps in it and they are sensitive little buggers. Plus i am not that creative in the kitchen! :lol:

samc said:
i agree that it would look better diagonal although would it not make more room if you took the wood around the bottom of the cupboard off?

Sam like the idea but convincing my wife that its a good idea to remove parts of the kitchen cupboards for the benfit of the fishtank may be rather difficult! ;)

Ok things moving along nicely now, managed to speak with Aquariums Ltd b4 they had started building my tank and changed the the sizes (thanks very much Ray and Sue) to accommodate my light which also arrived Saturday. By switching the tank to a 24x11(tall)x13(deep) this size will allow me to fit the tank under the kitchen unit with my new Arcadia Luminaire.

I am really impressed with the Arcadia light (4x24wT5) i have dropped it onto my other tank and i cant believe how bright it is! Pic below:

web.jpg

My shrimps seem very red indeed under these lights.
web.jpg

Starting to think about scaping now, think i am going to head over to The Green Machine to get some stone/advice from Graham. Although i am not sure how to create the look i am going to try to achieve. Ideally i would like a raised planted area in the tank. Any advice on how to approach this? I have done so many tanks were everything is on one level and after seeing many tanks with a bit of height and differing levels its motivated me to try! So how shall i do it?

I have now successfully tiled my kitchen in prepartion for the tanks arrival in a couple of weeks. The wait is killing me to be honest!! I want the new tank so i can get scaping!!!

I am also just trying to decide which eheim external filter to purchase for this set-up fancy one of the ones with the built in heater as that would help eliminate some more equipment.

Looking at Eheim 2324 which shifts 700l p/h, which should do the job dont you reckon?

Be careful if you're going to use all four tubes on that luminaire, could be a massive algae magnet! ;)

To create different planting areas, the best thing to do is use hardscape such as rocks and wood to support raised areas of substrate.

Hope that helps - can't wait to see the tank set up!

samc said:
that should be ok as the tank would be less than 70l so 10x+ turnover

i know what i feels like waiting for a tank to arrive.

The tank is 59l so it should be ideal.

Its killing me all this waiting, i have even started sketching tank ideas!! I think i am going mad

rawr said:
Be careful if you're going to use all four tubes on that luminaire, could be a massive algae magnet! ;)

To create different planting areas, the best thing to do is use hardscape such as rocks and wood to support raised areas of substrate.

Hope that helps - can't wait to see the tank set up!

Yes already experienced, the algae thing, but also manged to get my plants pearling for the first time! Although now i have dropped the lights back to two tubes.

As part of my plans i am looking at creating some different levels in my tank, for exactly what you suggested. Not sure what the best way is to build up the substrate, do you use rocks?

skinz180189 said:
Whatever you do with the tank I look forward to seeing it. Could be used to persuade my parents that there is plenty of scope for a tank in the kitchen!

Anything is possible!! :rolleyes:

I had a quick look at your journal, have you noticed that my other tank pictured earlier in this thread is a hagen elite 35 like yours. Good bit of cheap kit! :D

Back