• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ammonite jungle retreat.

I have fish!!! We'll 12 to start with. Zebra danios. They are fun watching dart in and around the tank. Nice to see movement in it. A few more over the next few months plus some neon rainbows ottos and corys I think.

I have a couple of bits of my wood that stick out of the water and was wondering?. Would anubias grow with its roots around the wood but it's leaves fully out the water? If not any other plant that would thrive in this position? No soil just wood and fully exposed leaves?

Hi all,
Rich Jackson said:
What sort of lights plants and size of refugium is needed?​
You don't need a very big tank for the refugium, I would imagine that 60 litres would do for even a really big tank, and probably ~ 10 litres is enough for a 60 litre tank. I would just use any waterproof container that you have to jhand, that fits in the space you've got.

I'd probably use Cabomba caroliniana as my plant, <Measuring Photosynthesis with Cabomba - National STEM Centre>, but I would imagine that any rapidly growing stem plant would do, and other species may well be better in harder water (Ceratophyllum or Egeria?).

Then all you need to do is have a reversed lighting regime, the plants should get plenty of dissolved CO2 from the (now dark) tank and they should evolve enough oxygen to keep the main tank pretty fully oxygenated. I wouldn't worry too much about having greater light intensity than you would for the tank, although this is going to depend upon the nutrient status of the water. If you use EI, you could get away with a long light period as neither CO2 or nutrients would be limiting. I'd be tempted to add some Asellusor Cherry Shrimps to the refugium.

I always have my tanks on a 12 hour day, so I'd have the refugium light on for the other 12 hours. We used to run the veg. filters in the lab under 24 hour daylight, but they were dealing with leachate with a high BOD, and the plants were emergent etc.

Any particular reason for a refugium? "Wet and Dry" trickle filters are a lot less work.

cheers Darrel​

I thought I would move this into here. I was curious about refugium as it was the main filtration source on my marine tank. I have a trickle tower and ceramic media but was just wondering if a refugium would be of any benefit.

I thought refugiums were used to remove nitrate & other unwanted chemical that are not wanted in a marine tank or found in the sea?
They are also used on koi ponds (vegetable fitters) to help remove nutrients that supposedly feed blanket weed but our planted tanks require feeding in these nutrients not removing them?

Looks great, really well executed and I like the point source lighting, gives the fish options and works well with the central island style layout.

It's starting to fill put nicely now. Just want some tall plants at the back that tolerate very low light levels. Not heavily stocked with 6 dwarf rainbows 2 blue rainbows some zebra danios which keep ending up in the sump, 6 corys and 3 sae's.

Back