• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano with Bloody Marys???

mugsy

Hi folks, i have some bloody mary shrimp and i was thinking of adding some amano shrimp.
Iv read on some sites that amano shrimp will kill and eat smaller shrimp. My bloody Marys are very small.
Has anybody else experienced this??

Thanks
Sean

Hi folks, i have some bloody mary shrimp and i was thinking of adding some amano shrimp.
Iv read on some sites that amano shrimp will kill and eat smaller shrimp. My bloody Marys are very small.
Has anybody else experienced this??

Thanks
Sean
I keep both but in separate tanks so don't have direct experience. I wouldn't have thought Amano would eat cherry shrimp unless they were shrimplets/very small/dying or absolutely starving. I may be wrong though so I'll keep tabs on this thread.

Last edited:
Wouldn't guarentee they don't off a few shrimplets or munch on a dying/dead shrimp, but I've kept them in the same tanks and never observed them going for cherries.

I've never had problems with them sharing in a tank, but I like to make sure everything gets fed enough so that they aren't tempted to have a shrimpy snack.

Would have thought this nonsense but for the fact I saw one of my Amano shrimp chowing down on one of my Neocaridina about a week ago [I did try to record it at the time but it hid around the corner].

This said, whilst not quite a shrimplet it was a smaller juvenile, it doesn't seem to have effected the shrimp colony as a whole with lots of shrimplets still visible hidden under plants and thankfully the more specimen shrimp don't seem to be on the menu.

Attachments

• 20231021_140618.jpg
    20231021_140618.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
  • 20231021_143846.jpg
    20231021_143846.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73
Ok ,what il do is make sure i get very small amanos to add to tank to match size of the marys.
What food is that theyr munching on above mat?

The male amanos are quite a bit smaller as adults than the females if you want to keep them more proportionate (although still about double the size of the adult cherries) you could select for them. An adult female amano is huge and chunky compared to a cherry shimp. They are quite pushy, they'll grab food and run.

Ok ,what il do is make sure i get very small amanos to add to tank to match size of the marys.
What food is that theyr munching on above mat?
Hi @mugsy it's one of the Shrimp King, there are a few but think this one is Mineral.

However there's lots of food for shrimp, and a planted tank is largely self-sustaining. However they will appreciate vegetables like cucumber, courgette, spinach, nettles; botanicals / leaf litter and pretty much all fish food you put in. Mine especially love Repashy Soilent Green and blood worm.

The black shrimp pictured (is a descendant) of a colony of Blue Dreams I used have in a little 60ltr in my shed for about two years - they were lucky if they got fed once a week and survived a complete loss of power from a filter malfunction that shorted electrics and drained the tank to two inches from the bottom, from the state of it and plants that didn't survive it had been like that for months only discovered later as I just as I'd been very ill and had also had an operation on my ankle so was unable to attend any of my tanks for months - thankfully plants and especially floating plants saved my main (then low tech) tank during this time which didn't see a single water change.

I have Neocaridina shrimp in all of my outdoor tubs now and they do absolutely fine including through winters, I discovered their hardiness when checking an old polystyrene box that I used to throw plant trimmings in one spring only to discover lots of shrimp hidden under plant matter at the bottom.

Once you have a colony of Neocaridina going and places to hide they'll do well and Amano shrimp are the least of their worries really.

Last edited:
Back