• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano Shrimp , co2 and Tropica soil

Beatrix Potter

Hello, I need some advice regarding the tropica soil please.
I am currently setting up a new aquarium and am using this substrate for the first time. I have added 4 x 9litre bags of soil into my Juwel Rio 240 litre aquarium. I ran a dark start for about 5 weeks and then fully planted the aquarium with a range of plants mostly from the easy range. All the water parameters are good apart from the ph which is approximately 6.5 using API and NTlabs water test. My query is about adding co2 into the tank. At the minute the co2 I'm adding doesn't seem to be adequate to turn the drop checker green but is lowering the ph to 6. I have been advised to put a 2nd in tank diffuser in the tank which I'm happy to do but I'm worried it might lower the ph too low for the Amano shrimp . My tap water is ph 7.4 and was wondering how long the soil will keep my ph low and is it safe to add a second diffuser and lower the ph more ? I am doing weekly 50% water changes. I have the Juwel internal filter which I've added the 1000ml/hr powerhead. The diffuser is the large flux which has lots of little bubbles blowing across the tank
Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you

All the water parameters are good apart from the ph which is approximately 6.5 using API and NTlabs water test.
If this is the de gassed ph of the tank water, then yes you will have to take it below 6ph to get a green dc ~ 1 Point drop. The amano shrimp will be fine with this level of ph, just be careful when increasing the co2 and watch the shrimp for any signs of distress, any distress will be caused by to high levels of co2, not the low ph.

To get a de gassed number take a cup of water out of the tank and leave it for 24hrs, then check the ph. Whatever reading you get is your base degassed (ie only atmospheric levels of co2) number.

BTW welcome to ukaps @Beatrix Potter

Last edited:
Hi John , thank you so much for your reply !
No worries. These articles might be worth a read.

Newbie here - not trying to hijack thread - where can I read about 'dark start' (what it is, why do it, what are the benefits, how to do it, etc.)? Thanks

Hi all,
where can I read about 'dark start' (what it is, why do it, what are the benefits, how to do it, etc.)?
@Cor is probably your best bet.

The idea is that, if you have an <"ammonia rich substrate">, <"the "cycling" process"> occurs in the dark, which suits the nitrifying microbes, but stops algal growth <"Who needs a tank for a dark start…. Let’s see.">.

Personally I would still probably <"go for lights on and a floating plant">, but I've never used <"Ada Amazonia"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back