• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano shrimp breeding project bis

last stage just before the female releases its eggs, usually 14-16 days after molting and she is carrying eggs with visible eyes on them . This is a technic used by several amano breeders I have spoken with.
Hmmm... probably those breeders were a bit unclear, this is how it looks like in my opinion:
molting > release of pheromones > intercourse > 4-5 weeks for egg maturing (eyes appear at around 3-4th week or so) > release of larvae

I think inciting female to release larvae is not a very good idea - the eggs must be matured so shouldn't be rushed really, it's quite stressful process for female and there may be a lots of pre-mature deaths etc. I've noticed that batches of live larvae are higher when female is kept in rather calm environment where she can hide (so plants, moss, places to hide etc.). Larvae can survive for less then a week in fresh water but it's a quite lots of time to collect them.

Without any inoculum how would that be possible? With freshwater I can understand how as algae can come in tap water, but with salt water I am not so sure.
I've just brought some water from Whitstable coast and mixed it with saline I had, after 4 weeks tank was full of some phyto, algae etc, all my amanos are actually pretty mature, more than 4 years old so it's a true Kent breed by the source of first food.

Hmmm... probably those breeders were a bit unclear, this is how it looks like in my opinion:
molting > release of pheromones > intercourse > 4-5 weeks for egg maturing (eyes appear at around 3-4th week or so) > release of larvae
I will not argue this because I have yet to breed them myself, but those breeders actually have years of experience with amano too. According to them and to the research I have done for the past year that time frame can actually vary anywhere from 2-3 to 8 weeks depending on conditions, temperature being a big component. It's not set in stone. It's all a matter of monitoring the female and assessing the maturity of the eggs. I assume that the 14-16 days I was told is due to them having perhaps higher temperatures. I am not sure.

I think there is no one way of proceeding. There is even no consensus on what salinity level is the best. Some having good results at brackish 17ppt others at 25-35ppt. I was told by these breeders they had decent survival rates with the above technic. Anyway I have to try it myself to see if that is true. Maybe I'll fail miserably.

At what temperature do you keep your female amanos?

I've just brought some water from Whitstable coast and mixed it with saline I had, after 4 weeks tank was full of some phyto, algae etc, all my amanos are actually pretty mature, more than 4 years old so it's a true Kent breed by the source of first food.
That would be the last resort, to fetch water from the sea but I want to avoid that for reasons I explained above. Additional to that sea water over there and here are probably very different. I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that water taken from the beach here will be highly polluted. I would probably need to take it further away in the sea. In Thailand you can literally see sewage pipes being drained a few meters away on the beach front.

I am in Thailand, not Europe or USA where this can be found very easily.
Probably sounds a daft question and one which you have no doubt looked into... but.... have you considered shipping live phytoplankton from Europe or the UK.
I'm sure there will be a good reason why this can't be done.

Last edited:
Hi just my two cents, are there any commercial saltwater fish farms in the area? I believe they would have what you are after but I might as well be wrong!

Probably sounds a daft question and one which you have no doubt looked into... but.... have you considered shipping live phytoplankton from Europe or the UK.
I'm sure there will be a good reason why this can't be done.
I have. No one wants as they can't guarantee the inoculum will arrive alive. If they wanted, the cost would be prohibitive since these inoculum would have to be kept under some temperature controlled packaging else they would die during shipping.

Hi just my two cents, are there any commercial saltwater fish farms in the area? I believe they would have what you are after but I might as well be wrong!
I have. No one wants to sell me live inoculum, only non viable ones. Looks like it’s a highly guarded thing here. It’s weird.

Last edited:
I meant the green sea weed stuff that reef guys keep in their refugium. Did not realise Thailand is so strict.

If you do not want seawater, there's still other options... you could go brackish water route and just put couple of floating plants from your freshwater tank in.
Plants will die at some point, but there will be some microbes that will adapt. For that you need to have diatoms and cyano already growing, so you'd need to start pumping air and nuke the tank with light.
You can breed amano shrimp in that. They will eat what you serve them at the end of the day, and seems to me you do not have the luxury to pick and choose.

Matt

I meant the green sea weed stuff that reef guys keep in their refugium. Did not realise Thailand is so strict.

If you do not want seawater, there's still other options... you could go brackish water route and just put couple of floating plants from your freshwater tank in.
Plants will die at some point, but there will be some microbes that will adapt. For that you need to have diatoms and cyano already growing, so you'd need to start pumping air and nuke the tank with light.
You can breed amano shrimp in that. They will eat what you serve them at the end of the day, and seems to me you do not have the luxury to pick and choose.

Matt
I will probably go with sea water if I really can't find anything else. I am not thrilled of going brackish TBH, since I have read more accounts of people failing with brackish than at full salinity.

Today I noticed one of the amano shrimps, a male, that had some odd mark on the side of the body. I am unsure if this is an infection or a genetic disorder. Has anyone come across something like this before? My phone is prehistoric in today's standards so the picture quality and sharpness is not the best.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen that on one of my shrimps once and it went away with next molt. Apparently browning is their immune system reaction to shell damage (be it infection or mechanical damage). So as long as it's just one shrimp, I would not worry too much. If the shrimp itself gets cloudy, then it's getting worse and that's more seriou, but this one looks ok.

Matt

Pictures in the second link look somewhat similar but on the amano there doesn't seem to be any deformation or crevasses formed by the disease. Could be the early stages though. This is very new tough because I spend a good 20-30 minutes per day to check on all shrimps and this was not there 2 days ago. I only started seeing it since yesterday.

I've seen that on one of my shrimps once and it went away with next molt. Apparently browning is their immune system reaction to shell damage (be it infection or mechanical damage). So as long as it's just one shrimp, I would not worry too much. If the shrimp itself gets cloudy, then it's getting worse and that's more seriou, but this one looks ok.

Matt
I hope it's just that.

I did lose a male amano 1 week ago to a failed molt. I don't think it's due to the tank conditions because I see molts nearly daily and all other shrimps seem fine. This one probably just got unlucky and got startled when molting or was just weak.

Last edited:
I hope it's just that.

I did lose a male amano 1 week ago to a failed molt. I don't think it's due to the tank conditions because I see molts nearly daily and all other shrimps seem fine. This one probably just got unlucky and go startled when molting or was just weak.
What's the water like and what are you feeding them ?

GH =~7
KH = ~1 or so

Food wise they get VIP treatment so they are well fed. A bunch of different food types. Fish food, home made food with spirulina, algae wafers, Bacter AE. Their tract is always full so they are eating fine.
Similar parameters here, but I only feed once or twice per week. raw spinach, nettles, cucumbers, bell pepper, occasional algae wafer or frozen green peas.

Matt

Similar parameters here, but I only feed once or twice per week. raw spinach, nettles, cucumbers, bell pepper, occasional algae wafer or frozen green peas.

Matt
I feed every other day but very small amounts.

I see a slight blueish hue which could be a sign of stress.
I was unaware that the blueing of the shell was a sign of stress. Could be because I had him locked in the net for 10-15 minutes me trying to take pictures.

I thought the bluish hue was due to what they eat 🤔
Thats the explanation I saw for why some have reddish amano shrimp as well, but it could be wrong of course

Bad news. I spotted another shrimps with similar orange marks, except this one is clearly showing signs of apathy and looks like is also developing necrosis. Compared to the other shrimps in the tank I can see its body is becoming milky. I can't see much food in his digestive tract so clearly something is wrong.
I took the 2 shrimps out temporarily and treated them in a bath of water + very dilute H2O2. That's what I read on the www for this rust disease. I am actually strongly considering euthanizing this one fella. The other one look pretty healthy despite the orange mark so for now I think I’ll let him be.
IMG_0306.JPG

All other shrimps are fine and look healthy to me.
DD4D3974-F03E-4226-8FDF-0200FC22A160.jpeg

Back