• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Algae on Christmas Moss

CalRed

I dont know exactly what kind of green thread algae species I have, but what has helped the most for me is turning the lights down. Im running low tech / no CO2 though.
I now use a dimmer to reduce light intensity but to be honest it seems as though the algae issues have gotten worse. Green spot on the glass and now another fine hair algae on top of the diatom algae that is on the moss.

CalRed

In some, if not many cases this balance can't often be forced and needs to develop and mature. Meanwhile, we are pulling hears trying this and that and what not more, and then we lose track in the labyrinth or remedies. And then suddenly it's all gone again, going the right way...

Leaving you/us guessing what it was we did that did it...

IMHO we are not creating but only guiding this balance in the right direction... Where patience more often is a virtue... :)

Try the famous blackout, this does wonder with the least impact, work and cost other than not having visual fun for a couple of days.
The blackout route is an avenue i'm willing to try so long as it has no impact on livestock and plants.

CalRed

Hi all,

It is either <"Fragilaria (Synedra) a filamentous diatom"> or Rhizoclonium a Green Algae. My guess would be diatoms, which will feel slightly gritty when you rub the algal filaments between your fingers.

I've never really suffered from either of these, so hopefully some-one else will be able to advise you.

cheers Darrel
I'm almost certain it's Fragilaria on the moss.

Kezzab

Hi, a few thoughts... ths is what I'd do. I don't claim it to be The Answer however.

I'm not sure what light you have, but you only have 2 hours a day when its at its highest intensity, and even then it's only at 75%. Lack of light could be a factor. I'd go for a 10 minute ramp up and down and then leave at the 75% for the moment.

I can't see if there is a diffuser in the tank, or are you using a reactor? Either way your drop checker is a very dark green and some of your plants have that look of being a bit co2 starved. If your drop checker is light green at lights on then you know you've optimised co2 to its safe potential, more or less. So I'd try to do that. You already have it coming on 2 hours in advance, so you need to increase the injection rate. Do it very gradually over several days, tweaking each day, until you get light green at lights on. Keep an eye on livestock.

I'm no ferts expert, but dose as per recommended on the APF website for a high tech tank.

Do 2 water changes a week if you can. At least for a few weeks.

Giving more light, food and co2 is going to give your plants the best chance to thrive.

I'd also consider the Algexit route if you don't see improvement.

Of course all this could make it worse, but it would be my route from here.

CalRed

Hi, a few thoughts... ths is what I'd do. I don't claim it to be The Answer however.

I'm not sure what light you have, but you only have 2 hours a day when its at its highest intensity, and even then it's only at 75%. Lack of light could be a factor. I'd go for a 10 minute ramp up and down and then leave at the 75% for the moment.

I can't see if there is a diffuser in the tank, or are you using a reactor? Either way your drop checker is a very dark green and some of your plants have that look of being a bit co2 starved. If your drop checker is light green at lights on then you know you've optimised co2 to its safe potential, more or less. So I'd try to do that. You already have it coming on 2 hours in advance, so you need to increase the injection rate. Do it very gradually over several days, tweaking each day, until you get light green at lights on. Keep an eye on livestock.

I'm no ferts expert, but dose as per recommended on the APF website for a high tech tank.

Do 2 water changes a week if you can. At least for a few weeks.

Giving more light, food and co2 is going to give your plants the best chance to thrive.

I'd also consider the Algexit route if you don't see improvement.

Of course all this could make it worse, but it would be my route from here.
Thanks Kezzab. Today's water change day so i'll put all that into practice and see what happens over the coming weeks. I've probably underestimated the importance of hitting 30ppm CO2 at lights on to be honest.

shangman

The blackout route is an avenue i'm willing to try so long as it has no impact on livestock and plants.
I've done several blackouts recently on my tanks to deal with Spirogyra. The fish have been completely fine every time, other than hiding for a bit when it's ended (best to take the plastic off in the evening with lights out so they don't get full light until the next morning). The algae was always depleted, but not always eradicated, sometimes it needs multiple with just a few days in-between blackouts.

Edit: also the plants were all fine, the worst that happened was that my lotus stems grew very long so it isn't compact any more, other than that hardly any change.

Last edited: