• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Algae is inevitable

Soilwork

Is it just me or is algae an inevitability in a new tank? I love reading the planted tank journals on the forum but one particular trend I seem to notice, especially in high tech tanks is that the tank seems to run perfectly for a couple of weeks and then chaos. After about 3-6 months of battling algae outbreaks the tank just takes off and no more algae.

During this period the hobbyist attempts a multitude of correctional measures to suppress the algae, usually creates other threads in the algae section and is bombarded with techniques to improve the situation. After this, the algae finally disappears and the hobbyist cannot conclude which alterations defeated the algae because there were too many variables.

My idea is that the tank simply matured and as a result, the biological decomposition reached maximum efficiency. Oxygen demand alleviated.

I believe that tanks run well initially because the plants whilst adapting to life underwater use carbon stores to transition and the new water is clear of organic wastes.

From a romantic perspective, I like to believe that algae is a safety net, a cellular programme designed to support a potentially compromised system. A system devoid of balance. To provide food and oxygen to support higher life until the system is in full flow and a higher order can take over.

So with that said, I believe the only true algae deterrent is patience….

Regards
CJ

Is it just me or is algae an inevitability in a new tank?
Depends how its set-up!
This tank has been running since 10th of March.....no visible algae or diatoms!
Eclectic Mini Tank 16th April.jpg

Eclectic Mini Tank 16th April  Collage.jpg

hoggie

Depends how its set-up!
This tank has been running since 10th of March.....no visible algae or diatoms!
View attachment 204145
View attachment 204146
hoggie

You’re right to an extent. There are a lot of things you can do to make the whole process a lot smoother.

I don't believe you can have an aquarium and not have algae 🤷‍♂️

Well....it might be in there at microscopic levels...in the above tank!

Have GSA on the Hob filter outlet of the other Aquarium.
GSA....probably due to tinkering with Phosphate levels/dosing.
Sometimes Green Thread Algae which appears if the lighting is on too long.
Green Thread Algae also likes getting in amongst roots of Bucephalandra and floating plants.

There is still time for Diatoms/Algae....hopefully the huge plants mass will combat that?

Is it just me or is algae an inevitability in a new tank? I love reading the planted tank journals on the forum but one particular trend I seem to notice, especially in high tech tanks is that the tank seems to run perfectly for a couple of weeks and then chaos. After about 3-6 months of battling algae outbreaks the tank just takes off and no more algae.

During this period the hobbyist attempts a multitude of correctional measures to suppress the algae, usually creates other threads in the algae section and is bombarded with techniques to improve the situation. After this, the algae finally disappears and the hobbyist cannot conclude which alterations defeated the algae because there were too many variables.

My idea is that the tank simply matured and as a result, the biological decomposition reached maximum efficiency. Oxygen demand alleviated.

I believe that tanks run well initially because the plants whilst adapting to life underwater use carbon stores to transition and the new water is clear of organic wastes.

From a romantic perspective, I like to believe that algae is a safety net, a cellular programme designed to support a potentially compromised system. A system devoid of balance. To provide food and oxygen to support higher life until the system is in full flow and a higher order can take over.

So with that said, I believe the only true algae deterrent is patience….

Regards
CJ
The author sounds like he's entered the last stage of his battle with algae - acceptance :D ❤️

The author sounds like he's entered the last stage of his battle with algae - acceptance :D ❤️

Haha well yes but no. It doesn’t seem to matter what I do. Stock heavily, feed more. Algae just doesn’t seem to take a hold anymore

Back