• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Akadama or Moler Clay?

Ok cheers foxfish.

Ive just gone through all the rigmarole of registering to buy a sample pack to find out its £7 postage :crazy: Just not happening :D

I'll send them an email asking if it floats, far cheaper :thumbup:

Yeah, they are not very good on the postage front & that is why I never bought any 3 years ago!
The stuff I saw was very sharp & not really like cat litter but, I still think a black baked clay substrate would make a great effect & perhaps that stuff they are selling is just perfect for the job... good luck.

I've been using Sophisticat Pink, but the grain size is too large. Plants seem to like it but its a pain to plant in. Time to change (again).

As above, really. Does one have benefits over the other, or are they basically the same thing? All of the websites that supply moler clay show pictures of an off white grit, whereas Akadama has an orange/brown colour. I presume this means they differ in composition.
just got 60 ltrs £13.95 delivery think i have enough how long befor you can add fish. Regards Alan

I'd say so, Alan :D

Adding fish depends on how heavily you're planting relative to how heavily you're stocking fish. With regards to the substrate, there's nothing to say you can't add fish straight away.

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have been reading with interest your comments on the Kaizen Bonsai fine grade 1-3mm molar clay. I have returned to this hobby after many years away and in July 2016, set up a Juwel Lido 120L planted tank. This was a low tech tank with Flourish Excel and ferts. Substrate was Dennerle Deponitmix professional 9 in 1 capped with fine quartz sand. This sand is very fine and I believe is the cause of my current problems, compaction, limited or no water flow and the plants seem reluctant to produce roots and struggle to survive. Initially, dwarf hair grass grew and threw out runners but after 3-4 months, stalled and died. Potted plants such as sagittaria subulata and pygmy chain swords left in their pots above the substrate grew and threw out runners, but as soon as they were planted in the sand they died. I am very interested in the molar clay but would you suggest placing a nutrient source under it. I see comments about Osmocote, but wonder if Tropica plant growth substrate could be capped with fine molar clay. My new setup is going to include pressurised Co2.

Moler clay can be used to cap any base layer you like. Just bear in mind that it's very light initially, so be wary of clouding if you disturb the substrate. Osmocote has worked well for me in the past; can't pass judgement on the Tropica stuff.

Thanks Henry. What quantity of Osmocote did you place under the substrate? After your initial trial of Molar clay in the picture of your tank setup in 2013, was it a success and what were the pros or cons. I just want to make sure I get it right this time and welcome your knowledge. Thanks.

Back