• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

AI Prime Freshwater vs Chihiros RGB2

rebel

HI everyone,

Longtime no see.

I have been chugging along with my 2 footer for several years quietly....

My interest has peaked slightly again and wanting to get a 4 foot CADE or similar setup. 120cm x 65W x 60H

I need it to look Schmick as it's in the living room. I am capable of growing plants but not crazy reds etc.

Most importantly I am very finicky about spectrum of colour (ie visible spectrum) for my enjoyment. I like crisp whites, reds (if possible but maybe I have red rooters if not) and greens. I do not like muddy yellow.

What's your thoughts on the above lights? I want the ones that give me the most crisp colours for fish and plants. I don't like fan noise etc though if possible.

No budgetary concerns and I am happy to hear any other options also.

This was the tank in it's hay day... btw the tank stand is Original ADA bamboo. It's almost too nice. Maybe I will keep it and ask for it to be buried with me one day. :)

The side view is the 2024 view. Algae has crept in a little..... Mosty because I have messed with the lights too much. [ a story for another day ]

Thanks for your help!!

Fingers crossed for survival of this forum.

Attachments

• PXL_20240622_111109899.MP~2 - Copy.jpg
    PXL_20240622_111109899.MP~2 - Copy.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • 20180512133055_IMG_5849.JPG
    20180512133055_IMG_5849.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 19
I have a couple of wrgb 2 and generally dislike their spectrum; they have 3 colour of led blue, red and (I think) green. You can enhance the visible look of the aquarium as these will bring out the visual colour of fish and plants but it is clear in photo the colour balance is way off and it is virtually impossible to balance out (there is a wrgb 2 pro which adds a white led and is godly expensive).

I have several ai freshwater blade (which i believe uses similar led as the ai prime and i've been very happy with them. I also have several fluval plant 3.0 (slight yellow cast but not bad); ghl 7xxx lights (godly expensive and pain in the ass to use but nice led). Anyway on the 2 specific lights you listed i would go with the ai prime over the wrgb 2.

The ai freshwater blade does come in a large number of lengths and is easy to hang (I use the ghl hanging kit); but some do complain it has a slight cool (the white led is a bit towards blue); though this is not a specific complaint of myself.

Thanks very much.

I am not concerned about photographing the tank. When I look at at, I want it to look perfect with regard to cooler and high CRI spectrum.

Budget is not really a concern.

I will have a look at the blade. Never heard of it prior!

The GHL freshwater lights seem to have a blue heavy spectrum. I am not even sure whether this is available in Australia but will look.

I want it to look perfect with regard to cooler and high CRI spectrum.

Budget is not really a concern.

The GHL freshwater lights seem to have a blue heavy spectrum. I am not even sure whether this is available in Australia but will look.
Bluer is "cooler"..
Besides your color options are infinite really..
You would need 2 7004's for 4ft..
At a min max of 87 watts each you have lot of room for adjustment.
Fresh water version: 4 LED-Cluster, 9 channels:

• Sky White
  • Neutral White
  • Cool White
  • Blue
  • Royal Blue
  • True Green
  • Yellow
  • Red
  • Hyper Red
Muddy yellow does come from poor quality white leds (well and tannins)

You may want to stick with the RGB centric lights.Current
AI primes don't fit the bill.

If you have no "yellow" in the spectrum well you'll see no yellow.. :)
There is usually a trade off between the RGB "punch" (and no yellow) and the color "fidelity" (CRI's not in the 90's)
Micmol's are another off the beaten path brand you may want to look at.

I just found this paper by CREE. You may find it interesting.

Last edited:
Back