• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ahoy

Zendango

Hi,

I'm Karl and I am returning to fishkeeping after a 25-year break.

I've been researching various aspects of the hobby since May - so many options! I think I am drawn more to the nature style and am hoping my experience with house plants will stop me from killing too many water-based ones!

Tank-wise - I am looking at the Aquael Ultrascape 60 as it should give me a nice-sized starter unit to develop my skills.
Not sure about the light unit that is included in the kit - guess that can be changed at a later date!
I'd like to go external filter to keep the clutter out of the tank.

Looking to stock a pair of Rams or Apistos to start off with and then see where the hobby takes me ... However I do feel multiple tank syndrome may follow shortly afterwards.

Happy for any pointers, suggestions or otherwise

Take care,

K :)

Hi @Zendango / Karl

Welcome to UKAPS!

I assume you are referring to the German Blue Ram (as shown in my avatar). It's a long time since I kept/bred them. I would advise reading as much as you can for these lovely fish. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

JPC
Thanks for the links JPC 😊

Yes, I'm looking at the GBR's ... drawn more to the black/blue or dark variants however I have read they can be more aggressive?

In your experience, do you find they disturb substrate as much as the larger geophagus? And how did you find them with shrimp or corys? Conflicting views on them being able to co-habit and that aggression or stress levels can raise when spawning

In your experience, do you find they disturb substrate as much as the larger geophagus?
Hi @Zendango

Having never kept the larger geophagus, I am unable to make the comparison. But, they didn't disturb the substrate in my tanks. And, going by memory, it would have been 2mm diameter. Had the substrate grain size been much smaller, I guess they may have been able to filter the substrate more easily.

JPC

And how did you find them with shrimp or corys? Conflicting views on them being able to co-habit and that aggression or stress levels can raise when spawning
Hi again, @Zendango

I never kept GBRs with shrimp but I seem to recall that they were OK with Corys. It's only 3-4 years since I kept GBRs so I'm embarrassed that my recollection of some details is rather sketchy. :(. They can get aggressive towards tank mates - particularly if other fish chance their luck around the GBR eggs.

JPC

Hi @Zendango

Having never kept the larger geophagus, I am unable to make the comparison. But, they didn't disturb the substrate in my tanks. And, going by memory, it would have been 2mm diameter. Had the substrate grain size been much smaller, I guess they may have been able to filter the substrate more easily.

JPC
Thats useful to know ... saw a useful video yesterday which talked about their taxonomical history and having a common ancestor with apistogrammas. I guess I could start epiphyte, moss and stem centric and obseve behaviors

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Hi again, @Zendango

I never kept GBRs with shrimp but I seem to recall that they were OK with Corys. It's only 3-4 years since I kept GBRs so I'm embarrassed that my recollection of some details is rather sketchy. :(. They can get aggressive towards tank mates - particularly if other fish chance their luck around the GBR eggs.

JPC
Corys would be a good option ... thinking smalled species like pygmaeus, hasbrosus or hastateus ... or even aspidoras raimundii

Homer Simpson suggests that every time we learn something new, something old gets pushed out ... so that may explain it @jaypeecee

Thanks for your thoughts ... helping me to piece this together

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Back