• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on cover plants for my 125l tank

Notimetoulouse

Hi everyone, first ask for advice.
As you can see from my profile, I have a Fluval Roma 125l planted tank, Seachem Tidal 75 and a chinese UV filter (which is handling algae growth perfectly). The tank has grown a little untidy but with perfect water parameters. Harlequin Rasboras, Chili Rasboras, Panda Corys, Threestripe Corys, Neon Tetras and a couple of Endler Guppies. I'm just about to introduce a 5cm Snowball Pleco and that's the tank as I want it, population wise. The Aquarium has four or five small external house plants dipping their feet in the water as nitrate hoovers, and they seem to be working well.
After an initial brilliant 6 months of plant growth I suddenly had a major dieback when I removed a very large piece of settled bogwood that was displacing a vast amount of water and it hasn't really been the same since. I've decided to leave it a tad messy rather than continually stressing out the fish by disturbing the aquarium by fiddling around with new plants.
The Tidal Hob is on the side of the tank and so precludes using Fluval's Roma tank cover, leaving my tank open. This is not a problem as I have a very large kitchen and any evaporation is lost in the house, with replacement water added as necessary along with Seachem Stability.
My problem is... the Tidal is brilliant as a filter, but I simply cannot get any plants to live on the surface to provide cover for my fish from above. I've tried the lot (except duckweed) but no matter how strong the root system, they all seem to die back within a fortnight as the Tidal flow rate continually wets the leaves and has them floating round the tank like a maelstrom - even on the lightest setting.
As stated earlier, my water parameters are 0 nitrate/nitrite, Ph 7.2 with no ammonia, but, as with everyone keeping fish in Lincolnshire, very hard water.
I'm actually thinking of the dreaded duckweed, with a feeding circle. It would just be nice to give the fish a bit of extra security by giving them some overhead cover.
Could anyone point me in the right direction please?
Thank You.

A couple of things spring to mind - nitrate/nitrite both at 0 is not good. Plants need nitrate to grow. Are you fertilising? Also, you mention evaporation and topping up. What water do you use to top up? If your hard topwater, then gH and KH will slowly be rising in your tank.

For more help, you'll need to provide more information:

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Yes I'm fertilising with TNC complete (I also have Aquadesign Carbo but deign to use it after seeing some reviews). I top up with tap water stabilised with Seachem Prime. I've just done another strip test which is showing 75 hardness and 80 carbonate and when I leave the strip for the full 60 seconds is showing Nitrate at 50 Nitrite still 0. Total hardness straight out of the tap is 75
The filter has three layers of media, two bags of biological media (Seachem and Fluval) two small bags of peat pellets and some Seachem Phosguard in a bag. Some plants are already growing on bogwood, and I have just bought a piece of dragon wood to (hopefully) help soften the water somewhat. I have also just realised on putting up this thread I need to invest in a full testing kit rather than rely on these test strips, which seem, with hindsight, to provide too broad a spectrum of water analysis.
I also top up the aquarium with de ionised water at least once a week.
Panda Cory's are breeding, up from 4 to 9, Three striped Cory's have had one offspring and the Chili Rasboras have somehow produced 2 new. There is a dense planted area to the right of the tank where fry can hide successfully until big enough to mix it.

Last edited:
Hi all,
As stated earlier, my water parameters are 0 nitrate/nitrite, Ph 7.2 with no ammonia, but, as with everyone keeping fish in Lincolnshire, very hard water.
is showing Nitrate at 50
I think probably 50 ppm NO3- is more likely. In hard water the pH is likely to be ~pH 8, purely for <"reasons of chemistry">.
and some Seachem Phosguard
Take it out, basically all plants (including algae) <"need phosphate (PO4---)">. Seachem's advertising <"is often misleading">.
but I simply cannot get any plants to live on the surface to provide cover for my fish from above. I've tried the lot (except duckweed) but no matter how strong the root system, they all seem to die back within a fortnight
I'm guessing that this is, at least partially, a nutrient, <"rather than flow">, issue. Have a look at <"What is the “Duckweed Index” all about?">, if it isn't PO4---, I'm guessing that iron (Fe) <"may be your problem">, purely because you have hard water.
I'm actually thinking of the dreaded duckweed, with a feeding circle. It would just be nice to give the fish a bit of extra security by giving them some overhead cover.
It should be OK, Duckweed (Lemna minor) is a <"good plant for hard water">.

cheers Darrel

Back