• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Amazonia and a lot of broken glass shards.

SinkorSwim

Hello all,

I've just opened the first of 2 bags of ADA aquasoil in preparation of cycling a tank for TB blue bolts or a.n.other similar TB shrimp.

To my extreme surprise I find a lot, and I do mean a lot of broken shards of glass mixed in and through the soil..
I expect there to be a certain amount of debris when buying any soil but this amount is really very bad.

I know it won't affect the chemistry of the water but expensive Taiwan Bee shrimp and fish don't mix with glass shards well. In fact it's the minute invisible slithers that would get handled and possibly consumed that concern me. I am surprised that this managed to get past quality control it's that bad. The soil is literally a reflection of sparkles not unlike a starry night.

I've sent an email to the vendor and I really do hope they offer to replace it, I can't use it, there's too much to sift and filter through it or I'd knuckle down and do just that. Disappointed. 1503585440708726178463.jpg

20170824_150640.jpg 1503585345456928490325.jpg
The photos really don't do a great deal to highlight just how bad it is but that amount was picked out by myself in five handfuls worth of soil.

Allan

The acceptable amount of glass in aquarium (or other) soil would be ZERO
:eek:

Well,

The vendor replied a d fold me it is quartz. However I've not long ago had to remove a slither of quartz that slipped under a nail. Even If it is quartz, I am amazed at the amount and the sharpness of the pieces. I've asked for replacement bags, I'm altogether uneasy about using the soil in its current form.

Allan.

Back