• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Acrylic Spraybar/Intake

Lindy

I've bought acrylic tube on ebay for spray bar and there are acrylic lily pipes on ebay. I'm waiting for a 9/12mm set that cost 10.99 inc postage so may be crap but we'll see. Coming from HK so may be a while...

Lee Sweeting

I've bought acrylic tube on ebay for spray bar and there are acrylic lily pipes on ebay. I'm waiting for a 9/12mm set that cost 10.99 inc postage so may be crap but we'll see. Coming from HK so may be a while...

Have you got a link to the acrylic pipes? I'm really thinking that i might attempt to make a spray bar myself. I'm not to sure about making the intake though :D

Thanks

Lee Sweeting

Thanks Tim! I did think about using some acrylic rod (non extruded) to cap the end. I'm more worried about bending the acrylic, i've never done anything like it before. Also i was looking for some tube with a 17mm outer diameter but no one seems to make that size? I have a tetra tec ex1200, the hose dimensions are 16/22 so i need some acrylic tube that my hose will just slide over. I can't seem to find any 18mm either.

sa80mark

How about seeing if you can some with an internal of 20mm and push your hose inside the acrylic ? Ive done this all be it on a 9mm pipe

squid102

Lee, I've just been through all this with my Ehiem 2217s. What are the internal dimensions on the intake/outlet that come with your filter?

The intake on mine that went with the 22/16 tubing measured at 17/14 (so 14mm internal diameter). I spent a long time trying to match this without success. The closet I could find was 16/12 or 18/12. I couldn't find 16/14, 17/14 or 18/14. I this the wall thickness is always in whole millimetres. In the end I went with 16/12. On the Eheim the intake is larger than the outlet anyway.

Lee Sweeting

Lee, I've just been through all this with my Ehiem 2217s. What are the internal dimensions on the intake/outlet that come with your filter?

The intake on mine that went with the 22/16 tubing measured at 17/14 (so 14mm internal diameter). I spent a long time trying to match this without success. The closet I could find was 16/12 or 18/12. I couldn't find 16/14, 17/14 or 18/14. I this the wall thickness is always in whole millimetres. In the end I went with 16/12. On the Eheim the intake is larger than the outlet anyway.

Hi squid! The dimensions of my filter intake/outlet are 22mm od, 16mm id.

I'm not sure if i've read your post right, but if you go with a smaller outer diameter then that of your filter hose, how did you fit it to the acrylic pipe? In my case i would have to go with a 17 or18mm od on the acrylic tube so my filter hose would have a snug fit.

I did see some tube with an od of 19mm but the id was 13mml. That might work but i don't want to restrict the flow from my filter.

squid102

Hi squid! The dimensions of my filter intake/outlet are 22mm od, 16mm id.

Is that the dimensions of the hose or the original spray bar/lily pipe? It's the dimensions of the rigid plastic spraybar and outlet in the tank you are trying to replace that I was after to see what the internal diameter on those is because that is the important bit.

For example:
My hose is 22/16 (22mm od, 16mm id)
The acrylic tubing I bought is 16/12 (16mm od, 12mm id)
It replaces a solid bent bit of green plastic tube that is 17/14 (17mm od, 14mm id)
However, on the return side of my filter the hose is 16/12 anyway and the supplied spraybar is 13/10.

So check to see what the smallest internal diameter on all the parts is (hoses, tubes, taps, connectors) and don't drop below that.