• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Cheers Ian, the scape looks great!

On the glass stuff, i do like them too, but for your 2073 this is probably too small. Has only a few stripes where it pulls in the water, so you will loose a few hundred lph from your filter power as 2073 is around 1000lph

This stuff is good for a nano with a filter size around 400-600lph above that size you will see decreasing on the flow
Thank you viktor!
I was worried about that as well, however, it has a quite a large hole in the bottom of the pipe, a little like the Cal aqua inlets. Because I'm a bit sad, I loosely measured the flow...The method I used was to measure the amount of water pumped out in 10 seconds, then x6 to get output per minute, then x60 to get output per hour.
It's currently doing just over 800lph. I know George is also using one of these on his scape as wel, and flow doesn't appear to be a problem in his tank.
I was gonna get the 13mm inlet from TMC, but that really did only have about 6 slits in it. I decided against that one.

Out of interest Ian - what white balance are you shooting at? Is it auto?

Try setting it manually at 5000K - works a treat for me and should for you too, as we have the same lighting and similar cameras... ;)

Hey George, thank you, regarding the white balance, i shoot in aperture mode. I don't shoot in raw...maybe i should. I'm not sure white balance can be altered in Aperture mode, so it will be auto WB??

Hey George, thank you, regarding the white balance, i shoot in aperture mode. I don't shoot in raw...maybe i should. I'm not sure white balance can be altered in Aperture mode, so it will be auto WB??
Sorry mate, I thought you had a 7D, but it's a 550D isn't it?

I'm not sure if you can customise the colour temp in-camera to the same degree. I think the closest would be to set it to the 'daylight' WB (sun icon), as I think this is about 5200K. You should be able to do this in jpeg and Av. I always shoot jpeg too, by the way (but manual exposure).

It's worth a try anyway. Type my eye the AWB is resulting in your images appearing a bit too cool (blue), but it could just be my eyes/monitor.

The thing about shooting in AWB all the time is that sometimes the camera gets a bit 'confused', so even if you're shooting the same subject in the same conditions, two exposures can have different colour casts. This is more apparent with fluorescent lighting though due to its high frequency flicker.

Anyway, that's enough geek speak! Anymore thoughts on new fish?

Cheers for that George, I have had a look on youtube and you can change the wb, as said not as custom as the big slr's. will have a try later...(this means more pics)

I have had a look around at fish, I might just end up getting some cherry barbs. Was looking at some vids and saw marks on youtube...it may have swayed me.

Marks cherry barbs

Great vid Ian, that moss is looking great. Nice pearling HC carpet too, good work. It will be interesting to see how George's suggestion of adding something to it works out. :)

Good choice on the cherries. I found they bred quite easily in the tank so you may get some more soon !

Great vid Ian, that moss is looking great. Nice pearling HC carpet too, good work. It will be interesting to see how George's suggestion of adding something to it works out. :)

Cheers cookie! I have added some really small c parva to the carpet. There is also a couple of anubias rhizomes in there. It's gonna be a slow process with the carpet.

Good choice on the cherries. I found they bred quite easily in the tank so you may get some more soon !

Thanks Charlie, they have also brought the banded barbs out more, which is a bonus.

Just wow! If I ever have a scape 10% as good as this I will be in heaven!

Thank you for the compliment!

Final stocking...

The last small group of fish to go in are corydoras sp black venezuela. Kept corys a long time ago, saw these and fall in live with them. The HC has fully taken now, so they shouldn't dig it up (hopefully). Stunning little catfish...

8578668286_37f01a73a8.jpg
Black cory by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

8578668428_d5c6c20897.jpg

8578668482_13b71c9b86.jpg

Back