• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A Needle value on a needle value.

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I've got a couple of reg's that have too high a working pressure or poor needle values that make fine adjustment a bitch.

I'm pondering if I can put a second, better needle value, on to get better control?

If there is no issue with that, recommendations?

Thanks,
John

Putting a second needle valve on a possibly faulty one doesn't sound like a good idea. If the original valve is not part of the reg then maybe you could just replace it. Failing that maybe the valve just needs some seals replaced?

Aqua sobriquet said:
Putting a second needle valve on a possibly faulty one doesn't sound like a good idea. If the original valve is not part of the reg then maybe you could just replace it. Failing that maybe the valve just needs some seals replaced?

It's not faulty, they just don't give a fine enough adjustment. Both regs.

I cant see any issues tbh, if the reg needle valve is open full and the secondly valve is used as the precise one then it all sounds feasible to me?

I guess that would work but what would be the point? Surely just replace the first valve with a better one - unless the original one can't be removed?

Aqua sobriquet said:
I guess that would work but what would be the point? Surely just replace the first valve with a better one - unless the original one can't be removed?

I'm actually thinking if the first one is turned down a bit the second one would allow finer adjustment due to the reduced effective working pressure of the second needle valve. Thus solving the issue of my two reducers when I cannot change the working pressure.

Although it's perfectly possible, it may not work that way. If you can get a second valve at a good price then give it a try. If it works be sure to let us know!
I don't know enough about metering valves for our low flow CO2 application, I wish I did.
I've been doing some research on the subject though so If I find anything good I'll let you know. Sadly many of the companies that make these things don't seem to publish data about their products that is easy to understand.

Aqua sobriquet said:
Although it's perfectly possible, it may not work that way. ......

Yup, i've got this sneaky feeling it's not going to be as straight forward as i'm hoping, hence bringing it here.

I'll wait for a few more replies and possibly bite the bullet and get one of the needle values from lunapets that people linked in this section a while back.

It would really help to know exactly what rate(s) of flow are actually needed. I'm sure someone out there makes exactly what we need at a reasonable price if only we can ask the right question.

Anyone care to take a stab at flow rates in cc per minute of Co2 or some other suitable measurement?

Back