• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
There's some monies worth in there!

As Tome says, they look amazing in large numbers. How many are in there?

That setup is another level,especially when it fills in more. have you entered competitions before mate and are you planning on entering this tank?

I dont know much about competitions, I have seen some stunning entries though. I heard you can enter some online, i might do it next time for a laugh just to see if i dont come last, it would be hilarious to show people and say "look i came in 5000th place!"
Thanks dan.
I cant wait to see what it looks like in another months time.
Ive never entered any competition before mate as my low techs havent really been up on the same level as some of the high techs but ill give the aga a bash with this one if its grown in enough by then and may possibly enter my puddle too.
I think with the aga comp if you don't come in the top 3 you dont get given a placing.

Looking good Alastair!
I just added a couple of chocolates to one of my setups and I like them a lot.

Hey mate. Thanks buddy. They are standalone fish in my opinion. I love them. Im really going to aim for 40 in this tank.
They behave fantastic in bigger groups.
Which one of your journals are the choccos in??

Extremely jealous of your Sphaerichthys Alastair, they look brilliant in those sort of numbers.

Thanks Tom. Kind of evens out my jealousy of your tank then lol. I think they'll act even better once the group gets even bigger next week.

My adult cherries are kind of hiding away now the group size has increased though :(

The crs arent even bothered though.

They do look ace. Can I ask what you are feeding them?

Totally agree mate. I feed them on banana/micro worm twice a day, frozen blood worm once a week and freeze dried tubifex cubes stuck to the glass once a week too. You'd be amazed at the size of bloodworm they can chomp down given how tiny there mouths are

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Oh wow !!!!! Alastair,...the tenellus are looking so healthy & green. Absolutely gorgeous. The sense of depth is amazing. Like everyone says,...it's going to look so good once it's completely filled in. And it's non co2!!! :)

Oh wow !!!!! Alastair,...the tenellus are looking so healthy & green. Absolutely gorgeous. The sense of depth is amazing. Like everyone says,...it's going to look so good once it's completely filled in. And it's non co2!!! :)

Hiya faizal. Thanks mate. I must admit im really really surprised at the growth rate and colour of the plants especially the tennelus.
It is much broader but shorter than I thought it would grow and throwing runners everwhere. I think this time next month the whole substrate will be covered completely. Ive seen co2 tanks (including my old high tech) with tennelus take longer to grow than this :p

That's what surface area does for you.

My wife is going to hunt you lot down when I steal a spot in the corner of the dining room. Out of curiosity, how much of a pain would it be if a tank like this was in a corner? Would it make maintenance totally impossible?

That's what surface area does for you.

My wife is going to hunt you lot down when I steal a spot in the corner of the dining room. Out of curiosity, how much of a pain would it be if a tank like this was in a corner? Would it make maintenance totally impossible?

Had my 3x3 in a corner originally. Far corner was a bit tricky to do much with but otherwise okay. Doesn't quite make the most of the form factor but obviously saves a bit of space.

The rooms in the cottage aren't the most generous, and all of them are corridors, so corner it may have to be. I'm still deciding if I should go with a long, shallow tank, or a square like you and Alistair.

I do still need to finish building the room it's going in though, as plaster dust has a nasty effect on the pH.

The rooms in the cottage aren't the most generous, and all of them are corridors, so corner it may have to be. I'm still deciding if I should go with a long, shallow tank, or a square like you and Alistair.

I do still need to finish building the room it's going in though, as plaster dust has a nasty effect on the pH.

Agree with tom that in the corner youd have limited access to a degree but it depends on how big a square tank it would be. Mines 4 ft square and can only access it from two sides currently until tomorrow when my dining table goes and with the size I do get a soaked front trying to stretch across to the other side. I think also the way you scape tue tank has an impact on maintenance too but in a corner a square still looks good. Look at toms journal when he had it in the corner near his window.

Long and shallow are easier to work with like in my puddle journal but you dont get the same viewing angles as a square tank.
Hence me being addicted to square tanks and planning bigger for next year

It is much broader but shorter than I thought it would grow and throwing runners everwhere.

It does look very broad which i havent seen before, in my high tech or no tech nano it was much narrower. Wonder if its a 12grow transition stage and will narrow further down the line?

I think this time next month the whole substrate will be covered completely. Ive seen co2 tanks (including my old high tech) with tennelus take longer to grow than this

What are your thoughts on why this is?
Any news on the seneye mate as i think more than a few of us would be curious about the par levels this runs at :thumbup:
Once again you've awoken my MTS with this, gunna need a bigger house!

There's some monies worth in there!

As Tome says, they look amazing in large numbers. How many are in there?

Sorry mate I didn't see your post.. oops. Im not ignorant all the time ;)

There worth the investment I think. Especially seeing them in such a big group and the behaviour is so different in bigger numbers.
I think theres roughly 25 so far with another group coming tonight :D

Then ill be adding 25 cbs a week saturday

It does look very broad which i havent seen before, in my high tech or no tech nano it was much narrower. Wonder if its a 12grow transition stage and will narrow further down the line?

What are your thoughts on why this is?
Any news on the seneye mate as i think more than a few of us would be curious about the par levels this runs at :thumbup:
Once again you've awoken my MTS with this, gunna need a bigger house!

It might narrow down a bit more but to be honest it doesn't look bad at all. I actually prefer the broader leaved look this time round.

As for the growth rate im not entirely sure mate. Like I said I didnt see such rapid growth in my old co2 tank or in my puddle.
Im dosing very very minimal ferts, there's some of the wondergro root tabs dotted about but nearly all the plantlets are throwing out runners and the vibrancy of green in them is lovely.
It could be the variety of things in the substrate but that doesnt explain the anubias or moss.

As for par readings im borrowing a par meter from a friend next week so will be able to get some proper readings at substrate and surface level. Im curious myself too.

Ha ha nothing wrong with one or two more tanks.
Im already planning for bigger

Ps wondering if anyone can help, I had the usual faint film on the water surface which has pretty much gone since raising the glass outlet however the bubbles produced from the agitation arent dissolving/popping which to me would mean something is binding them together. Ive attached a pic any ideas anyone save me having to pop up a separate thread
ybu9yna8.jpg

???? :confused:

You could try positioning the outlet such that you get maximum rippling without actually breaking the surface and creating bubbles. I'd expect the film to clear up anyway in a few weeks. Can't believe how fast that tennelus is spreading!

You could also try the old paper towel on the surface trick, in case you've got surfactants or something in there.

You could try positioning the outlet such that you get maximum rippling without actually breaking the surface and creating bubbles. I'd expect the film to clear up anyway in a few weeks. Can't believe how fast that tennelus is spreading!

You could also try the old paper towel on the surface trick, in case you've got surfactants or something in there.

Ive lowered the outlet just a little so its kind of creating a tornado effect of water under the surface just above the outlet so its dragging water down from the surface. Alls good so far.

If it comes back ill try paper towels. I also noticed the eheim jager was letting an occasional bubble eacape from its seal so not sure if that had a part to play but ive replaced it. Might explain the peculiar odour id occasionally get from the tank.

And tell me about it, the tennelus is really going for it. Every plant has adapted super fast and ive got runners all over.

Protein, oil, or surfactants as Tom suggests. Has someone been cleaning things in your house?

Theres only myself that cleans and I dont use sprays air fresheners or anything. Will see how the adjusted outlet and replaced heater go. Fauna weren't affected (touch wood) and the second group of choccos that have gone in last night are as happy as the others

Congratulations with this, you are doing a Superb job. If this was mine, I would move the sofa into this room and get rid of the TV- I would no longer need it. You could coin the phrase "aquarium potato", it is so cool.
All the best from Bill. :D

Your tank is looking amazing Alastair, you've inspired me to go low tech now. When I move house in a week or so, I'm converting my juwel rio to low tech. When I do, would it be a good idea to remove the reflectors from the lights?

Back