• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

900L/H Powerhead big enough for a 60L?

Emyr

Hi Everyone.

Sorry to put another post up about powerheads and flow. Just a simple question.

Is a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 l/h big enough to create enough flow in my heavily planted 60L?

There is dirt that settles on the hairgrass and things and I had a problem with BGA and increased flow helps this. I have a Rena XP4 which creates a fair amount of flow but they never do as much as it says on the box and it doesnt feel like enough flow in the tank. I heard that the flow from these seems quite gentle because they push water out in all directions and someone said that if given the choice they would have gone for the next size up. That would be 1600L/H. That would be way to much in my tank right?

Thanks.

hey, i have a hydor 900 in my 37lt iwagami and its just about perfect with a HOB that created almost no flow, if your tank is heavily planted personally id go a little bigger.
Dont believe what any of these things say on the box, as soon as media is in the filter it halves the flow and the same goes for powerheads. First few days it will seem a lot but it will soften, which seems to be due to 'gunk' that builds up in the prop shaft as once clean it speeds up again for a few days.
This is just my experience though...

I have a 1600lh koralia in my 125l tank. The flow isnt that powerful and it definately loses its power after a few months. The koralias are designed though so that they dont blast everything with a single jetstream, they are a more gentle and more spread out current.

The 1600lph one would be fine. It would definately stop the crap settling on your hair grass. I worried about my fish getting blown around but most fish like to have a good current in the tank with the exceptiion of bettas and gouramies. It keeps them fit. Mine looked like they were struggling at first but they get used to it quickly.

Its up to you mate. It wasn't just the koralia which added loads of flow. I have a 1000lph and 700lph filter too and I could still do with slightly more flow really. These pumps never deliver what they say they do!

Back