• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

50x50x40 options

Crumbs

On the hunt for a fixture in the process of setting up a new tank. Contemplating a Kessil after good experience with the salty version, though I'm not convinced by the reviews.

Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Cheers :)

Hi Crumbs,

I have recently (last 4 weeks) set up a 70x70x45 tank which is currently been lit by a kessil amazon sun. As long as you get the gooseneck and can source the 90 degree adapter for it from the states then it should work just fine. I have managed to get mine right over the centre of the tank and still be 11 inches above the water line. Works just fine as far as I am concerned. I also have another Kessil A150 light blue marine light that is a 10K light source and I have used that in the past to good effect to on a planted tank.
What puts you off about the kessil reviews?

Mike

Thanks Mike,

People seem to think you're paying more for the design rather than usability. Plus, I'm looking for something which will emit a bit of heat in the hope of promoting emerged growth - this seems to be the thing Kessil is trying to minimise, which is understandable. Saying that, the a350w for my marine caused a considerable amount of evaporation so who knows.

I just like knowing whats out there :)

Surprised by the size of the orphek in comparison, had any first hand experience? The TMC is pleasing price wise but having to buy a dimmer and the mounting kit separately is slightly irritating. Apprehensive about dangling things from the ceiling as it seems to be plaster and our property is rented :bored:.

The Kessil & gooseneck are looking more and more attractive. The sound shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still unsure whether it will emit enough heat to promote emerged growth. Planning on having a Nyphaea and a few others attached to wood along the water's surface.

Big fan of your journals by the way Alastair!

People seem to think you're paying more for the design rather than usability. Plus, I'm looking for something which will emit a bit of heat in the hope of promoting emerged growth - this seems to be the thing Kessil is trying to minimise, which is understandable. Saying that, the a350w for my marine caused a considerable amount of evaporation so who knows.

I tend to find that most of the tank evaporation that occurs is due to the tank water being ~24 degrees and warmer than the rest of the room, especially in winter. The Kessil lights don't kick out much heat. I don't think you will struggle with heat for emergent plants though as they will be sitting either in or just next to a large liquid radiator (the aquarium) so should be just fine. They do however create a tiny bit of fan noise, which is too much for some people, but I don't really notice it. The only other thing to note is that these aren't really dimmable unless you do some diy. Having said all that though I love them and wouldn't change them now, they look great and if you can get the 90 degree adapter for the gooseneck then they are even better.

Mike

I tend to find that most of the tank evaporation that occurs is due to the tank water being ~24 degrees and warmer than the rest of the room, especially in winter. The Kessil lights don't kick out much heat. I don't think you will struggle with heat for emergent plants though as they will be sitting either in or just next to a large liquid radiator (the aquarium) so should be just fine. They do however create a tiny bit of fan noise, which is too much for some people, but I don't really notice it. The only other thing to note is that these aren't really dimmable unless you do some diy. Having said all that though I love them and wouldn't change them now, they look great and if you can get the 90 degree adapter for the gooseneck then they are even better.

Mike

I think you've convinced me haha. Not too fussed about the noise as the sound of running water fills the air almost permanently.

At roughly the same height you have it, do you reckon there will be much spill over my 50x50cm footprint?

If you have running water sounds then you probably won't even hear it then.

My light is sitting about 28 inches above the bottom of the tank and I get very little light spill, mostly because the 90 degree gooseneck adapter allows the light to shine directly downwards rather than at an angle. You tank is 20cm less than mine in each direction so you will probably get a bit of spill, but you will notice the shimmer effect it creates on the ceiling more than this to be honest, especially is you have a bit of surface movement.
I was trying to work out what size the cone of light that is produced would be when the light is 11 inches above the tank water. I know that the lenses produce light on about a 140 degree spread, so take half of that and you can work out the trigonometry for a triangle to work out the radius for the cone of light produced. If my workings are correct then the light spread is a cone of about radius 30 inches when the light is 11 inches above the water. Sounds a bit much for me as I don't appear to be lighting up the whole room in my case. Could be my maths is rubbish, it has been about 15 years since I lasted use trig...

Surprised by the size of the orphek in comparison, had any first hand experience? The TMC is pleasing price wise but having to buy a dimmer and the mounting kit separately is slightly irritating. Apprehensive about dangling things from the ceiling as it seems to be plaster and our property is rented :bored:.

The Kessil & gooseneck are looking more and more attractive. The sound shouldn't be an issue, but I'm still unsure whether it will emit enough heat to promote emerged growth. Planning on having a Nyphaea and a few others attached to wood along the water's surface.

Big fan of your journals by the way Alastair!

Thanks crumbs.
I mentioned the orphek as I know someone selling one for 65 pound. Absolute bargain. As for the heat for the emmersed plants you really dont need to worry much about that at all.

Thanks for the compliment too mate. Ive got plans for another emmersed shallow set up soon.

£65 is appealing but I think the Kessil is probably more suited - prefer the compact look and I can get one for a decent price.

Wish I was allowed another alongside this one but the girlfriend can only cope with two tanks in our little flat.

I will be following yours closely :)

Kessil has arrived but seems the 90* adaptor may be necessary. Mike, does £30ish sound similar to what you paid? Its strange how they're not available in the Uk :S

Back