• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

30cm cube tank

Ahahaha we don't use RO water in my household.

How was your time in Malaysia?
ahaha wonderful period of my life, the food and the nature ah, damn it is seriously a heaven for people into that kind of 'down to earth' lifestyle. but ya I heard things are not getting well over there in the past years especially after COVID... we are actually planning for a visit early next year so I'm going to see that Josh Sim shop aha (IAPLC regular - he is the #3 this year - and apparently the #1 guy said he is inspired by Josh Sim from that ADA video of top15 winners).

Hi all,

I wouldn't particularly want to drink it. I'm definitely a hard, alkaline water fan <"for drinking">.

In terms of use in the tank, it would make thinks easier, because of the <"blank slate"> aspect and not having issues with high alkalinity effecting pH and <"nutrient uptake">.

Another factor might be that those trace elements we usually ignore because they are "always present" might not be present. We have an example of that in @Hufsa's <"manganese (Mn) deficiency symptoms">.

This means that you would need to add <"all fourteen"> essential mineral nutrients for plant growth.

cheers Darrel

Darrel you need to try Scottish water! Not that I am biased...

Hiya

Have not updated on this tank in a long time. I really neglected the tank after my holiday in Tokyo last year. The tank became a mess and my fish stopped coming out so I completely stopped feeding them for months. I don't think the ruby tetras made it. It really makes me feel terrible that I treated them so carelessly.

I am trying to get this tank back in shape and it is getting there. I did get a very bad algae outbreak recently which I think was caused by a combination of root tabs leaching from the substrate (probably cos substrate isn't deep enough) and a wave of unusually hot weather recently. Had green algae constantly on the tank walls which would come back in one day after wiping it off. A lot of algae on my plants. Then the water turned green, and when it wasn't green it was cloudy. I didn't want to get any shrimp or other algae eaters (although I did move some red cherry shrimp I found in the filter of my tank to this one I don't think those few shrimp would be enough to make a dent in the algae).

I think root tabs might have finished leaching because, coupled with more stringent maintenance and fertiliser dosing, the tank is now looking quite decent.

I want to share a picture of what the tank looked like in November last year when I finally decided to do some maintenance after putting it off for nearly a month. I don't have pics of when it was infested with algae but I do have a picture of the tank looking really cloudy! And also want to share a picture from last week to show it's progress

Look at the state of this
53713055799_b34d1b4aaf_h.jpg
20231125_100425 by Lenny Lim, on Flickr

The cloudy water a month ago
53706937913_8eab59a53b_b.jpg
IMG_20240508_114604_693 by Lenny Lim, on Flickr

And finally this, just taken a few days ago!
53706728251_2d8fc31d01_h.jpg
20240506_223550 by Lenny Lim, on Flickr

Back