• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

3 week into cycling my tank.

Just an update, 5 weeks today I set my new tank up, I have lost all my anubias to rot. Buce to melting.
It may be either the well known 'Anubias sickness' (not sure whether to blame bacteria or nematodes but attempts to save such plants are largely futile), or (also well-known situation) too much organic compounds in the tank, increasing microbial population above limit and with it oxygen consumption. The plants get suffocated.
Now all the leaves on my limnophila hippuroides has melted will these grow back?
The plant itself may survive but leaves once lost never grow back.
I put 3 netrite snails in 2 weeks ago and 1 died today is this common? Still no live stock yet just got my self a pH pen and tds pen.
Organics, low oxygen. Incomplete decomposition is the source of many harmful organics, actually more dangerous than ammonia.
I suggest vigorous aeration & water changes.
(Didn't I say a few days ago that a plantless cycling is a safer way?) ;)

Hi @Lee iley, have you posted the details of your tank? Maybe I missed it?
Tank info guidelines

Yes it would be good to know the details.

Based on what happened in his tank, it makes me wonder whether he set it up with Tropica substrate and then added Tropica Root Tabs for a double whammy of Ammonia which led to a mass melt of all his plants. The Buceps melt is expected (Bucep melt in an uncycled tank is well known), but not the Limnophilas. Similar to the problem encountered here:

Hi @Lee iley, have you posted the details of your tank? Maybe I missed it?
Tank info guidelines
Hi,
sorry I thought I had already posted all my details.
No co2 dosing TNC complete once a week
Tank aqua oak 200litres 3foot wide.
Filter biomaster thermo 350. Tank temp 23-24
Light fluval aqua sky 25watts on for 6 hours per day.
Substrate jbl proscaper soil with added tropica root tabs.
Hard scape seriyu stone and manzanita wood.
Plants
Trident fern x8
Narrow java fern x8
Staurogyne repens x 4 pots 1.2 grow
Java moss x2 pots
Amazon frogbit x1 pot 1.2 grow
Ludwigia palusmtris x 2 pots
Limnophila hippurpides x2 pots
Any help would be great thanks guys.

Substrate jbl proscaper soil with added tropica root tabs.

Unfortunately, you will not be the first one encountering problems after adding Tropica root tabs to a new tank.

However, since you are at 5 weeks, the initial ammonia dump should be over and there should from now on be a more "controlled" release. If you want to add new plants now, it "should" be safe as long as they are fast-growing 'easy' plants. Once they start growing like weeds, you can have more confidence to introduce more 'sensitive' plants to your tank.

And finally, since you are using Seriyu stone, flowgrow says the dKH for Limnophila H. should be between 2-12. I assume your water parameters (after adding the Seriyu stone) are within this range?

Last edited:
M
Unfortunately, you will not be the first one encountering problems after adding Tropica root tabs to a new tank.

However, since you are at 5 weeks, the initial ammonia dump should be over and there should from now on be a more "controlled" release. If you want to add new plants now, it "should" be safe as long as they are fast-growing 'easy' plants. Once they start growing like weeds, you can have more confidence to introduce more 'sensitive' plants to your tank.

And finally, since you are using Seriyu stone, flowgrow says the dKH for Limnophila H. should be between 2-12. I assume your water parameters (after adding the Seriyu stone) are within this range?
MY tap water is mod soft according to my water report. I havnt tested my water in my tank apart from the pH which is 7.5. Does seryu stone affect the water?

Does seryu stone affect the water?

Very much so if you are injecting CO2 as @_Maq_ says. When I had a Seiryu stone heavy, CO2 injected, scape some time ago, I had so much CaCO3 dissolving from the stone that I ended up doing water changes with pure RO (only adding Mg with ferts), and the tank water still ended up with averaging around 6dKH and 11dGH.

I
Of course it does, a lot! This is basically a calcite which melts - reacts with CO2 to form Ca(HCO3)2. So it will increase pH, GH and KH. The more so if you inject CO2.
I Am not running co2, when I tested my ph at the weekend out of the tank it more of less matched my water report.

Back