• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

22l Planted Tank Co2 balance?

Hi Guys

Have a 22l heavily planted tank at the moment and injecting using welding gas bottles. I think out of the tap pH is around 7.2-7.6, and using small amounts of co2 i.e one bubble per second it goes to around 6.8 with a solenoid only coming on during lighting hours. It's impossible to stabilise it like this - so is it worth buying a ph control unit for a tank so small? I wanted bee shrimp but I fear they will be too fragile so I think Cherry is best to start.

So, I am looking at cherry shrimp but I fear this variation in pH would kill them - do you have any experience with this? Is it worth just keeping the co2 on 24/7 do you think with such a small amount, perhaps cutting it out during the night for 3-4 hours to allow evaporation then turn it on again?

Just wanted some advice / experience really about what you think is the best way to stabilise and if I am over thinking and actually the pH being down to CO2 and not KH means they shrimp will be more tolerant if it's co2 only thats changing it?

Do I need to test KH and will it really help me that much?

I think I do need CO2 as I have strong light and have MC Cuba carpet, Staurogyne repens, few anubias, Weeping Moss, Hygrophila mini, Hygrophila lancea, Alternanthera Red. Most of these need Co2 really.

Perhaps this isn't suited to a shrimp tank? Maybe better off with a betta and something more tolerant - are Ghost Shrimp better with ph fluctations? Would prefer to stabilise it more regardless though really

Many Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
I think kH of 4-6 is a good starting point. pH from 7.6 to 6.8 is fine. How are you measuring it though? pH pen?

it will be very difficult to keep Bee shrimp in tanks that small with co2. It is possible, but fluctuations can happen so quickly its a big risk.
The bigger the tank the better when it comes to more tricky inverts.

i would stick with some nice fire red cherries, perhaps some small Micro rasboras? (6)

The drop in ph caused by the addition on co2 doesn't affect the shrimp. Don't ask me why it is different to a standard ph drop, chemistry is not my forte. A 1 point drop in ph can cause stress in fish not accustomed to low ph but the 1 point drop desired in the planted tank doesn't have the same affect.

Awesome, just my thoughts guys. Thanks for input so far, will get some pics up later for you guys to see.

Not worth getting a co2 controller at this stage then as I thought? I quite fancy a Betta fish, but I have high current at the moment. I think micro Rasboras is a great shout too - or Endlers perhaps? I am testing with API drop kit dude :)

Few tank shots as promised :) green raspboras look awesome actually! Eyeing up a pair of cobra guppies too, a friend has one on his own with other fish and looks stunning against plants. Betta would be nice as only 22l - would he Harass the cherrys?
6e40402e39ada5e76628219e9e2ac59c.jpg

d646feae25e15aeb39a8a6ffc7807f2e.jpg

23ddcb5bd7fd21779ab3d7e77bfab795.jpg
6bbc66c3483a5b9d9c02fb22bbdef39d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys - is there anything I could add to the 7.8 pH tap water to lower the ph and keep it stable? Just thinking if I added a buffer that remained constant when it came from the tap, the co2 addition would lower the pH less and therefore make the drop less of a shock? Even if I buffered it to 7.2 - 6.8 would be ideal. I use a H20 International filter under the sink - is it still necessary to add dechlorinator to filtered tap water do you think? Not used it to date but shrimp may be more sensitive.

Back