• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

2 x 18w T8 sufficient lighting?

mjw1476

Im planning on setting up a planted setup with my existing Juwel 125 tank.

it currently has 2 x 18w T8's, im planning on getting reflectors for them, i want to keep some amazon frogbit to start and combat algae, some valliserna nana and e.parvula. im not planning on densely planting just lightly in patches. im using ADA amazonia II as a base topped with 2mm gravel, dosing with easy carb and occasioanlly ferts as necessary.

could anyone provide advice on whether these plants will be comfortable or potential replacements with a similar look.

Im looking at stocking fairly lightly with a few shrimp, pair of rams and shaol of cardinals.

fitration is by an internal fluval 4 plus.

I know this isnt an ideal setup but dont want to plough to much money into it, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

You'd be wasting money using ada as a base unless you'd gotten it second hand I'd imagine, use the tropica base instead it's perfect for this application and much cheaper.
Regarding the set up I wouldn't be so sure that'd be enough, sure it'd grow plants but I don't know what the par levels would be like, they'd be very very low I'm sure, maybe too little.
Have you checked out Georges low light 125? I seem to think that had two t8's but I'm not sure on the wattage.

i havent seen georges 125, i will find it now and see what plants he uses. i already have the ada from a tank i had about a year ago so not spending out on that but thanks anyway.

Back