• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1st post

Hi Paul, and Welcome to UKaps.

In short, yes yo can. Changing the bulb would be good, but not necessary. Im not sure it will look all that graceful over you tank and you may fine the far ends of the tank quite dark. They have a wide spread of light, but it wont be very even.

IMO, you would be better of getting a T5 luminair. It will give more even light distribution and possible cheaper to run. Though not to buy, comparing it to the cost of that flood lamp unit.

Cheers.

thanks graeme
my plan with the flood light is to run it for 6hrs a day on a timer then run a single tube t5 for another 6hrs a day just for a bit of light and hopefully keep the algae away , also running co2 with loads of flow this is going to be a plant only tank for 6 months at least i have the pretty tank low tech with fish in the front room so this doesnt really matter what it looks like . its a bit of a project really setting up a high tech planted tank getting great results and spending as little as i can .

pauld said:
my plan with the flood light is to run it for 6hrs a day on a timer then run a single tube t5 for another 6hrs a day just for a bit of light and hopefully keep the algae away
Hi Paul - welcome to the forum. Adding additional light is more likely to lead to algae, rather than make it less likely! I reckon you'd be best just investing in a single light source at about 0.5wpl (reckoned by George Farmer to be enough light to grow pretty much anything in a larger tank) and then spending the rest of your budget on ferts and flow! If you blast your tank with too much light it will become very unstable, very quickly and lead you to algae problems.
Cheers
Matt

im not authorised to view the above forum ?
what would you recomend for cheap lighting option as i said before it does not matter what it looks like and if it needs adapting to make it work on a aquarium im up for doing the work .

think i know why the link dont work is it to the for sale section ? i havent done 25 posts yet im a newbie but if anyone is selling a good light set up pm or email me i will have a look .

Sorry mate, you have 11 more posts to go before the Sale section opens for you. These are the rules. Hang in there. :angelic:

Cheers,

im here for the long stay so much great info on here .

Back