• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

100x30x30 tank

Today got to play with some stones:
78990543_665070060689959_2916190675525435392_n.jpg
77017246_722437878236575_9152791409055498240_n.jpg

Nice start and materials.
Is that rock in the last 2 photos?
I think they need to be spread apart a bit more, which would make it look similar to the composition of my large tank :)
Or you could turn the rock on the right to point right?
Have you got more hardscape?
Loving the hardscape breaking the waterline. Definitely keep that!

Is that rock in the last 2 photos?
Yes that's fossilised wood.

I think they need to be spread apart a bit more, which would make it look similar to the composition of my large tank :)
I tried that already but can try again. Problem is I am relying on the right stone to partially hold the left one because it is tip heavy.

Or you could turn the rock on the right to point right?
I tried that as well but the back side of that rock is not as appealing. If I tilt it instead to the left in order to point to the right then because of the shape of the stone it looks unnatural.

Have you got more hardscape?
I have got another stone but it is of similar size than the right stone. I tried with those 3 but for some reason it didn't look nice.

Loving the hardscape breaking the waterline. Definitely keep that!
Yes definitely want that either with wood or stone.

Below are three trials but in my opinion are not good at all reason why I didn't include them in my post before. Don't pay attention to the smaller rocks, those are meant to prop up the bigger ones. I will probably do some other test but I really need to be careful with those stones. They tend to chip quite easily.
IMG_2473.jpg
IMG_2462.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg

Last edited:
Yes fossil/petrified I believe it’s the same. Got the big piece in JJ market and the smaller pieces in Chiang Mai where they were selling them for 20 Baht (~0.6 USD/kg). A total bargain. I brought them with me in the plane. Security and Custom officers asked me twice to open my bag as the xray couldn’t figure out what those huge masses were .

A total bargain.

You're smack dab in the middle of the main source. In Europe, Malaysian (Indonesian) petrified wood is very popular, actually if we find any 90% comes from that region and big bucks are paid for nice pieces. When it's polished prices go over the top.

But James Findley used to use TGM Fosilized wood. He probably grew it in his back yard in wales.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this, love shallow tanks

Wood in your previous post is :thumbup:

You're smack dab in the middle of the main source. In Europe, Malaysian (Indonesian) petrified wood is very popular, actually if we find any 90% comes from that region and big bucks are paid for nice pieces. When it's polished prices go over the top.

But James Findley used to use TGM Fosilized wood. He probably grew it in his back yard in wales.
Omg grew fossilised wood?Is he a living fossil too?

Is he a living fossil too?

In the aquascaping scene, he could be considered as such. He's an oldtimer in the hobby.
I don't know the British history of Aquascaping pioneers, but i guess he might be somewhere in the top of that list.

In the aquascaping scene, he could be considered as such. He's an oldtimer in the hobby.
I don't know the British history of Aquascaping pioneers, but i guess he might be somewhere in the top of that list.
Nice.Would be great if I was in london instead of Singapore ugh.I love the colour of arizona petrified wood but it is so ridiculously expensive.I got a trunk section of the white and black asian petrified wood though.

Yes I know but if you buy them in Central Bangkok then the price has gone up 5 fold so I couldn’t let this pass. Obviously it is still way cheaper than in Europe. Here is a picture of what they were selling in Chiang Mai. If only I had come in a truck I would have taken them all :
9e463b25bf124dec40a46093d905d8ef.jpg

Yes certainly. He has a special powder to accelerate the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What happened to the piece of wood in the first mock up... people ignoring how awesome it is lol? Forget the rocks and go with this :thumbup:
ahaha Nothing happened to them. Still in my place :). Just wanted to try again with the rocks as those were the ones I had initially bought for the scape but a few weeks back I stumbled upon these woods pieces for yet another cheap price and thus couldn't let them pass :lol:. I even tried mixing both these rocks and wood pieces in the scape but so far haven't been able to obtain anything decent. I think they all have very specific characters reason why it's difficult to mix them.

Yes I know but if you buy them in Central Bangkok then the price has gone up 5 fold so I couldn’t let this pass. Obviously it is still way cheaper than in Europe. Here is a picture of what they were selling in Chiang Mai. If only I had come in a truck I would have taken them all :
9e463b25bf124dec40a46093d905d8ef.jpg

Yes certainly. He has a special powder to accelerate the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice I guess the petrified wood would look much nicer after cleaning hehe.

Not sure I'd like to use that as a stand, you're relying on the fixings holding the top horizontal member to take the weight and not sheer.

Not sure I'd like to use that as a stand, you're relying on the fixings holding the top horizontal member to take the weight and not sheer.

It would be ok, but I noticed the chairs for little people. They’ll be bumping/driving/dancing in to it occasionally (I know mine do), so some cross bracing at the back would give you peace of mind.

Lol - That stand was made by a reputable local aquarium stand maker. The stand is rated to withstand at least 200Kgs with a safety factor of 2.5 so it's not my shallow tank with its ~130 Kg that will stress the stand.

It would be ok, but I noticed the chairs for little people. They’ll be bumping/driving/dancing in to it occasionally (I know mine do), so some cross bracing at the back would give you peace of mind.
That's not the location of the stand obviously. Next to the sofa... no good. Next to the daughter's playground.... no good. It is simply there for the picture and layout tests.

Last edited:
Back