• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Catching shrimps?

MichaelJ

Anyone got a trick for catching / trapping shrimps in a very densely planted tank?

I have a crazy amount of Bee/Crystal shrimps in one of my tanks. I am going to pass them on to my LFS for free btw.

Cheers,
Michael

PS: Yes, I tried to ask Bubba Gump but they didn't reply. 🙂

I dismantled mine at the weekend to get all my Cherries. It took me hours and hours and a teeny-tiny net. I missed a day's feed and got a lo lt of them when they came for a spirulina lolly, you could try something like that if you don't need to get all of them?

Try using a fine Sieve/colander tied to fishing line. And place their fave food/treat item into it. Wait a few and lift them out into a bowl to sort them from.

Try using a fine Sieve/colander tied to fishing line. And place their fave food/treat item into it. Wait a few and lift them out into a bowl to sort them from.
I dismantled mine at the weekend to get all my Cherries. It took me hours and hours and a teeny-tiny net. I missed a day's feed and got a lo lt of them when they came for a spirulina lolly, you could try something like that if you don't need to get all of them?

Thanks for the ideas I think both will work but will obvious take quite a while.

I was thinking perhaps a miniature shrimp trap ruse... If anyone make such a thing.

1719005314809.png

Cheers,
Michael

You can make a shrimp trap out of a cut up plastic bottle. Cut the neck off and install in reverse. Lots of videos on youtube etc showing how.
This 👍🏻. Works really well with a small 500ml bottle. Just make sure you don’t leave the shrimp in too long as the decomposing food can cause a problem with the water quality inside the bottle. Left mine in for a day max in the past and they were ok

This 👍🏻. Works really well with a small 500ml bottle. Just make sure you don’t leave the shrimp in too long as the decomposing food can cause a problem with the water quality inside the bottle. Left mine in for a day max in the past and they were ok
Perfect. I am going to try that out!

Cheers,
Michael

Back