• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fish smart

malik uddin

Hi. Been looking into getting fish for a 200l tank. From what I have read seems the bigger the fish the more intelligent it is. This may seem obvious to you, but I find this a revelation and fascinating. Is there any truth to this? Maybe the goldfish with the big chunky brains are fish scientists.

Hi. Been looking into getting fish for a 200l tank. From what I have read seems the bigger the fish the more intelligent it is. This may seem obvious to you, but I find this a revelation and fascinating. Is there any truth to this? Maybe the goldfish with the big chunky brains are fish scientists.

I've not kept anything large, my largest species currently are pearl gourami and apistogramma. They are do seem to display more unique/interesting behaviour on an individual basis compared to my smaller schooling fish, whether that's due to their size or type of fish....I have no idea! :)

Hi all,
From what I have read seems the bigger the fish the more intelligent it is.
It is likely. Scientists use the <"encephalization quotient"> (the ratio of predicted to actual brain size against log^10 body weight) to differentiate between species "intelligence". I have no idea how well it works for fish (scientists aren't keen on "Fish" as a classification, because it is <"paraphyletic">, and not a clade ).
This may seem obvious to you, but I find this a revelation and fascinating. Is there any truth to this? Maybe the goldfish with the big chunky brains are fish scientists.
I'd expect the most intelligent fish would be carnivores, that have a range of social interactions, so, amongst the <"Teleost fish"> I'm going for Perciforms, like Cichlids <"Cichlid neuroethology">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
its true the predator fish must be cunning, then again, the t rex was said to be daft, but hunted on instinct and senses with a powerful body. maybe discus are the most intelligent fish as they are just one big head with a tail. i love discus , but they won't fit in my small tank.

Back