• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal JUNGLE PUDDLE: Dooa Mizukusa wall

Not sure if I'm that experienced, just lucky maybe. My Nepenthes get treated the same way as most of my other epiphytes; airy substrate, watered with (soft) tapwater to keep evenly moist, and fairly bright light. That's usually more than enough for them to grow well, and I've had a couple surviving just fine in much worse conditions. Hybrid Nepenthes isn't nearly as tricky to keep as some people would have you believe.

Then you're likely safe. Not sure how high air humidity you manage to keep around them, in dry winter air the pitchers might not fully develop, but the plant will keep growing and you'll get some nice pitchers developing eventually.

Yep, I remove leaves with dried pitchers every now and then to allow more light for the off-shoots at the base of the plant. You could probably also do it the other way by removing the main stem if it becomes unruly, treating that as a cutting and letting an off-shoot or two take its place. They're not that fast growing though, especially when small (unless they start climbing), so you should be fine for a good while.
Thank you again.
It has only been sited for a week so it’s difficult to tell exactly how it is developing, I’ll know better how the pitchers are going on a few more weeks I guess. I don’t know how humid it is up there, but it is right in line with the mist so hopefully reasonably high. I may buy a humidity tester to tell accurately. Should I mist it regularly aswell do you think?

You mentioned cutting leaves with dried pitchers, is it ok to just trim the pitcher from the leaf or is it best to remove the full leaf?

Thanks again.

it is right in line with the mist so hopefully reasonably high
That could be enough, you'll see pretty soon. I wouldn't bother with extra misting, it will only briefly raise the humidity, better to keep everything stable and let the plant adjust to that.
You mentioned cutting leaves with dried pitchers, is it ok to just trim the pitcher from the leaf or is it best to remove the full leaf?
I do a bit of both. Once a pitcher is completely dry I remove it, if the leaf is still looking good then it's allowed to stay on, otherwise I remove that as well. Not sure if that's optimal for the plant, but at least it doesn't seem to bother my ones.

That could be enough, you'll see pretty soon. I wouldn't bother with extra misting, it will only briefly raise the humidity, better to keep everything stable and let the plant adjust to that.

I do a bit of both. Once a pitcher is completely dry I remove it, if the leaf is still looking good then it's allowed to stay on, otherwise I remove that as well. Not sure if that's optimal for the plant, but at least it doesn't seem to bother my ones.
Many thanks. I will do the same.

Hey @Ady34 , I'm curious how you planted/attached this plant. It would be great if you could share a top-down view.

I'm looking for something similar for my Foresta. The spot I have in mind is between the hardscape and mist wall, and it will receive a constant stream of mist and a fair amount of water from the moss wall. Initially, I was considering aquatic plants for this reason, but I couldn't find any suitable option so now exploring terrestrial options like begonia.

Capture.PNG

Hi Ady
How does the wall in the back attach onto the aquarium? I can’t figure it out!
Hi, there is a metal bracket you purchase seperately that sits on the aquarium…
IMG_3904.jpeg

Then you hang the mizukusa wall on top of this bracket in slots designed to mount it on either this bracket or the glass of the neo glass terra 36

IMG_3902.png

Hey @Ady34 , I'm curious how you planted/attached this plant. It would be great if you could share a top-down view.

I'm looking for something similar for my Foresta. The spot I have in mind is between the hardscape and mist wall, and it will receive a constant stream of mist and a fair amount of water from the moss wall. Initially, I was considering aquatic plants for this reason, but I couldn't find any suitable option so now exploring terrestrial options like begonia.

View attachment 216054
Hi Sid,
I initially removed all soil from the plant roots and wrapped them in sphagnum moss tied with cotton. I did this as I didn’t want any soil in the tank so had no substrate to plant into. Also the roots wrapped in sphagnum are much smaller so it is easier to wedge where you want in limited space. I researched all the plants purchased to see if they would grow epiphytically and if they would I guessed I could grow them without a substrate per se.
I then simply wedged it in the desired area. I was worried it would be too wet, but so far it seems to be doing well and I have new leaves forming. I tried to ensure the root ball didn’t sit in the water but it is touching the moss wall so will wick water for sure.
Apologies I don’t want to disturb things too much as there are other plants there too but here are some images…
IMG_3905.jpeg

IMG_3908.jpeg

IMG_3909.jpeg

Cheerio

@Ady34 are you finding the drip wall in combination with the mister is providing enough humidity in your (presumably) centrally heated room, or are you having to manually mist the plants regularly too?

Last edited:
@Ady34 are you finding the drip wall in combination with the mister is providing enough humidity in your )presumably) centrally heated room, or are you having to manually mist the plants regularly too?
Hi, I haven’t manually misted the majority of plants, however the peripheral plants such as the Hoya on the right uppermost branch I need to mist occasionally to moisten the sphagnum as I haven’t got a wick to that area. The main branches with moss and the nepanthes I have dooa terra tape to wick water from the weir which keeps things wet. The two foreground branches also have terra tape to wick water up for the peperomia and begonia. This has been working well with the water wall and mist flow.
I have just added some in vitro buce last night which may require some additional misting as it settles. The anubias I have used emersed hasn’t required any additional spraying.

Hi, there is a metal bracket you purchase seperately that sits on the aquarium…
View attachment 216086

Then you hang the mizukusa wall on top of this bracket in slots designed to mount it on either this bracket or the glass of the neo glass terra 36

View attachment 216087

Hi Sid,
I initially removed all soil from the plant roots and wrapped them in sphagnum moss tied with cotton. I did this as I didn’t want any soil in the tank so had no substrate to plant into. Also the roots wrapped in sphagnum are much smaller so it is easier to wedge where you want in limited space. I researched all the plants purchased to see if they would grow epiphytically and if they would I guessed I could grow them without a substrate per se.
I then simply wedged it in the desired area. I was worried it would be too wet, but so far it seems to be doing well and I have new leaves forming. I tried to ensure the root ball didn’t sit in the water but it is touching the moss wall so will wick water for sure.
Apologies I don’t want to disturb things too much as there are other plants there too but here are some images…
View attachment 216088

View attachment 216089

View attachment 216090

Cheerio
Thank you so much, @Ady34! This helps. 😄

2nd post ... Wow!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Ha, thanks man. Good to see you back.

Here’s an updated image and a link to a little video….

E489B55D-68C1-4FBB-B57C-5884C37636A9.jpeg

Cheerio,

Hi @Ady34
Is there a heater somewhere in this setup?
Hi, there isn’t, but there easily could be, I have considered it as it would open up my stocking options and allow ottos which would help with film on the wood.

While I’m here here’s some images and a little transcript from last night….

F2E35DE0-2DE2-44F7-92A1-4E37F70B80F1.jpeg

594F4D06-F994-40BE-9B1D-C9BDFC47C589.jpeg

01EB76AE-B1C9-40A8-9133-204D88695051.jpeg

641D4D18-69E5-483C-92C7-667E08CCAAC9.jpeg

6B8E3E7D-07D0-474E-A7BB-9A3B97D0ED31.jpeg

0D1A6784-5E23-4D5C-8E83-B33C943BE582.jpeg

FB23CCD3-D176-4F51-A566-E1DC70C11A93.jpeg

2AFF5D82-23C8-4EDC-BDF8-885E18DB2AFE.jpeg

M I N I M A L I S T or D I S P L A Y

Maintenance on the Jungle Puddle last night including glass clean, detritus siphon, old leaf removal and pipe clean 🧼 💎 💦

The sarracenia flower stalks are getting tall ⬆️ and offer more interest and photo opportunity…I can’t wait for the flowers 🌺

The removable branch for ease of maintenance is a lovely thing to look at on its own with the moss filling in nicely and peperomia growing well.

The yellow bucket on a stool is a very well engineered process to water the vanda orchid with old tank water 🤣

Also some impressions from the cube cabinet clear which strike a juxtaposition between minimalism and display…
You could argue that the glass cabinet offers the ultimate minimalist way of focusing on the tank which sits upon it, and as such should be left uncluttered. Conversely its transparency is ideal to display items; I choose to display. The Dooa Sol light illuminating the area beautifully for a house plant, the lightspill highlighting the superjet filter and new concrete tool holders 😎
ADA is premium, I appreciate it isn’t for everyone for many reasons, however you can’t deny that they produce beautifully designed equipment and tools which deserve to be on show.

….oh and I spotted a tiny snail which has appeared from nowhere 🐌🤷🏼‍♂️

For those who made it this far down, and the eagle eyed, you may spot something else in amongst the images, but that will be for another time 👀…

Cheerio,

Absolutely gorgeous tank Ady! Side note, is that a cement planter you're using for your tools? Going to copy that idea!

PS - I would have came and said hi to you at the Josh Sim meet if I'd realised it was you...next time!

I am a bit shy about launching my own journal compared to this, so I will put some questions here! (with apologies to OP)

I am finding the water level goes down really fast; I have a 60p tank, and it's almost 1cm/day, with misting on only 5 minutes every 30 minutes in the day, and a lot less over the night. I was thinking of an ATO? Is that sensible? I don't really know what the downsides are apart from potentially flooding my downstairs neighbours.

Back