• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

me and my big mouth.

kirk

Hi all just when I tell everyone that i have got rid of the algae it's making a return. Four different types, the one I'm not 100 percent certain on is this one. :) is it blue green? cheers Kirk.
abanuju7.jpg
also noticed white spots on wood. Eerrrr

Hi
certainly looks like BGA.
Any sunlight hitting the tank, now the sun is lower ?
Not that we've seen much sun here lately, pretty sure i saw an Ark earlier :)

A little yes and I was thinking the same thing. Only a bit shining through gaps in the blind. Your theory could be spot on as I've only had this problem since late autumn:) if there are arks around please tell Noah and his Mrs not to put any wasps on board we don't need them:D were tewkesbury on sea again here.

Shrimp will help, but clean and peroxide, EM but that's an issue in the UK, which is to say, a good thing in the overall scope of things.

All being well I have, some crs arriving tommorrow, I will be blacking out when they arrive to let them settle after there trip with pat and jess. The tank has been shrimp free for weeks whilst lowering the Tds. Any idea what the white spots maybe. The only thing in the tank currently is pink rams horns and 7 tiny green tetras . I did have a Google but only came up with conflicting opinions. Cheers Kirk.

I found the best cure to combat Cyanobacteria was to increase KNO3. Poor flow could also be a contributing factor. As for the white spots! I had similar when I had Nerite Snails, I notice you keep Ramshorns. Possibly eggs?

A little yes and I was thinking the same thing. Only a bit shining through gaps in the blind. Your theory could be spot on as I've only had this problem since late autumn:) .
Far from being expert in these things, but the one & only time, i've had BGA was from late autumn when i noticed the setting sun would hit the tank differently

were tewkesbury on sea again here.
Thought you might be.

Cheers Darrel, pipes filter all cleaned also manually removed what I could see with a 30 percent change ro, last night, I've even moved the light away from Water a further 8" the lights that high we will be needing no light on In the lounge this evening:D thanks all of you.

I'll look these nerites up. Haven't put any in or seen any but they could be some stealth laying at night:D

I've done lots of reading today, lots of conflicting information regarding this, I'm hoping someone could help clear things up for my self an the OP.

I've decided to totally disregard my testing kits as it's abundantly clear that they are about as accurate as my Parkinsons-ridden Grandmother with a sniper rifle.

It looks as though raising KNO3 is the best way to get rid of it, but what about KH2PO4 - Phosphate, right? This is where the conflict begins because I've read that I need to lower them, others say I need to raise them?!

I had a bag of Purigen that is supposed to help get rid of the Cyanobacteria, but I used bleach that had perfume to 'recharge' it. Even after soaking it for a week, changing the water every day, it still smelled of the stuff so I threw it in the bin :(

KNO3 mostly, PO4 is somewhat independent.

I think for mild/most cases, folks can siphon and fluff the stuff off.
Then water change, then maybe a general H2O2 treatment, then dose the KNO3 and add more KNO3 from then on.

I have BGA in my 120 Gallon Dutch tank, but it's below the gravel line and it stays there.

Most algae are that way, present, but not a management issue.
A pack of shrimp will also keep the fine needle/frond plants cleaner.
Small snails will also/in conjunction with shrimp.

Back