• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My Nitrite Is High

sai_786

Hi guys my nitrite is like this in my shrimp planted aquarium kindly help me

Attachments

• IMG_20231207_202429.jpg
    IMG_20231207_202429.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 393
How long has the tank been set up?

No info - no advice.
I'm guessing Narendhar isn't quite up to speed with the necessity of giving as much info as possible that will help answer their question.
So on that note allow me to fill in some of the blanks.

@sai_786 as mentioned before, your tank is not yet cycled. A little patience is needed. If this tank was only set up on the 23rd Nov then it could take another Couple of weeks before the nitrite levels drop, also not 100% sure if this is the tank set up with new ada aquasoil and/or currently contains critters? In any event my advice would be the same, you need to do daily water changes, if there are critters in the tank maybe twice daily water changes until those nitrite readings get to 0.

hi guys thanks for your reply my take was established by November 26 and its 20 gallon tank with new ada soil version 2 and its boyu fef230 and using pressurized co2 with plants of limnophila aromatica purple and rotala hra then thats it ,
and one more question does any one know what is the shelf period of (seachem fertilizers like Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and iron fe) mine is expired by 2021 but i am not using it is it ok to use or should i trash it

Apart from water changes I'd suggest oxygenation.
the shelf period of (seachem fertilizers like Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus and iron fe)
Nitrogen, phosphorus & potassium should be fine as long as no impurities are present. As for iron, in fact an iron gluconate solution, it's hard to tell. It's an organic compound and subject to degradation by definition.

Your tank is less than 2 weeks old. It is not cycled so needs to grow bacteria. Do the biggest water change you safely can with the shrimp and plants you have in the tank. If you can, treat the water with excess dechlorinator before adding it to the tank because a newly established colony of bacteria will be more sensitive to the chlorine in water.

During this period do not clean your filter sponges at all unless flow rate has massively reduced. You can help the process along by getting filter media from an established tank and potted plants from established tanks and adding them in to the filter and tank respectively.

If that doesn't get your water down to 0.25 nitrite, then a few hours later do another. Because you have shrimp in the tank you will need to change the water any time the nitrite gets to 0.25. Nitrite is toxic to shrimp and will harm them. If you have an established tank that has already cycled I'd recommend moving the shrimp there. For any future tanks you should ensure the tank has cycled before you add any animals to them.

As Maq says keeping Oxygen levels up, it will help your bacterial colony process ammonia and nitrite and reproduce to establish. You can do this with airstones and pointing filter outlets at the surface to create Choppy Waves. Also by taking a jug of tank water out and pouring it in from height several times per day (that last step is really only necessary if you can't do the first two).

As a general rule with fish tank advice the more information you can give the better advice you can get. As a minimum, tank dimensions, what's in the tank and how long it's been in, water parameters and anything you're adding to the tank (treatments, fertilisers, medications).

Thank you guys for taking a time to educate me ya I shall follow those and I am not Cleaning my canister and even I have added seachem matrix to it and daily dozing with seachem stability and doing daily water change its a 20 gallon tank and I shall share the picture of it and even I have added oxygen outlet for my surface skimmers and just using seachem NPK and Fe as fertilizer and for water I am using RO water so no chlorine And hard metals are there thank you love you friends

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_204748.jpg
    IMG_20231208_204748.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 74
It will NOT hasten cycling, more likely quite the contrary.
Yes, if nitrites are high despite adding Seachem Stability daily since November, it sort of suggests the Seachem is ineffective?

I would add that even among those that believe in the magic water, Seachem is not viewed favourably and the preference appears to be Tetra Safestart.

Can you people suggest any beneficial bacteria other than seachem stability

You follow commercials a bit too much, I think. Adding "beneficial bacteria" is not necessary. There's scarce evidence that they ever helped to anyone. Sometimes they even lead to a bacterial bloom.
Manufacturers describe their potions & powders in a way that tells nothing, only that their particular product is the best one. Characteristically, they do not tell which bacteria (scientific names) are included. That's a remarkable difference from industrial and agricultural products.

I agree with @erwin123 that Tetra products reputably contain nitrifying bacteria; if true, then that's a major difference from most other products.

Anyway, your situation right now is such that it's probably late for any inoculations. Nitrites mean that nitrification in your tank has already begun, and within a few days it will get complete.

Hi all,
It is unlikely that <"Seachem Stability"> is supplying any useful bacteria, like @_Maq_ says it is just increasing the bioload and actually adding more nitrogen (N) to your tank.
I agree with @erwin123 that Tetra products reputably contain nitrifying bacteria; if true, then that's a major difference from most other products.
Have a look at <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements"> and <"The nitrifying microbes in aquariums and cycling">.
Yes, if nitrites are high despite adding Seachem Stability daily since November, it sort of suggests the Seachem is ineffective?
Patience and plants are the most beneficial bacteria
@sai_786 have a look at <"Bacteria in a bottle ?"> & <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">.

At UKAPS we don't have anything to sell you, we just want to help you to have a healthy and successful planted tank. I'm not sure that <"everybody else has the same aims">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
There's pretty much nothing worth paying for. If you can get Dr Tim's that's fresh and has been kept within temperature range during shipping it works. However almost all of it will be old or have been cold at the moment. Tetra have a product that uses the same bacteria but suffers from the same problems.

The best sources of live bacteria to innoculate the tank are well established filter media and established aquarium substrate, especially around plant roots. If you know other keepers they may be able to provide you some. Your local fish store may be able to give you part of a sponge from one of their filter/sumps.

You already have bacteria converting Ammonia to Nitrite. Bacteria to convert Nitrite to Nitrate should establish within 3 weeks. In the meantime it's just going to be a case of testing Ammonia and Nitrite and doing lots of water changes.

Hi dude thanks for your advice already I am running 3 feet planted aquarium with 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5.0 nitrate shall add some water and substrate and some plants from it what you say

Water will do very little. Filter media is where most of your good bacteria are, substrate second most.
Well, it is true that the numbers of bacteria in the substrate are usually orders of magnitude larger than those in water column. Still, there are papers which revealed, for example, that surprisingly high share of nitrification occurs in the water column.
You say that media in filter contain more bacteria than the substrate. How do you know? We've got no tools to measure. What we can do - and I actually did - is to compare two identical tanks with and without filters with bio-media. I've learned that it made no difference whatsoever. It suggests that substrate is quite sufficient and there's no need to build a separate room for bacteria.

At the very least, we should admit that we simply don't know.

The ideal situation of course is 3 or 4 weeks with thriving plant mass, but in the OPs situation adding the Tetra product or (good reviews) Tropica Goop or maybe a LFS can supply you with some seeded media or any mature tank. Not ideal but should speed up the cycle @sai_786

The ideal situation of course is 3 or 4 weeks with thriving plant mass, but in the OPs situation adding the Tetra product or (good reviews) Tropica Goop or maybe a LFS can supply you with some seeded media or any mature tank. Not ideal but should speed up the cycle @sai_786
Sorry it's Tropco not Tropica

Back