• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plants turning black

clayton1994

Can any one shed any light on why these plants are turning black?

560L tank
C02
Twinstar light 6hrs a day
Parameters are fine
Easy life profito fertiliser 25ml twice a week
Tia

Attachments

• 20231104_140221.jpg
    20231104_140221.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • 20231104_140214.jpg
    20231104_140214.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 20231104_140204.jpg
    20231104_140204.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
  • 20231104_140159.jpg
    20231104_140159.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93

1. Size of tank. 560L
2. Age of the system approximately. 5 month
3. Tap water parameters.
4. Filtration and Media.
5. Lighting and duration. 6 hrs
6. Substrate. Tetra active and complete
7. Co2 dosing or Non-dosing. Dosing
8. Drop Checker. Yes x 2 green with 1ph drop
9. Fertilizers used + Ratios. Easy life profito 2x a week 25ml each time
10. Water change regime and composition. Weekly
11. Plant list + Invitro/Emersed.
12. Inhabitants.
13. Full tank shot and surface image.

I had the similar issues when I have started.
So here my experience:

1) Improper nutrition dosing. I see you are dosing profito and it is only micro. Not sure if your live stock can generate enough macro. Especially when you have CO2, plants demans will be increased.
2) Not enough flow.
3) Poor maintenance. Take a turkey buster and push it on your platns, you will be amazed how much dirt there.
4) Decrease light intensity.

The java fern is directly in the flow to be fair, I have been questioning the flow so brought a sow 4 wave maker yesterday just need to figure where is best to postion it that I don't blow the plants over. The trident Is planted I was told I could plant it but tbh I am now questioning that information. Unsure on the mechanical damage that's just behind where the flow starts and it's been doing fine up until the last week. I have changed my dosing regime in the last week so I'm going to change back for now. I've changed light from 6 hrs to 4 hrs to see if that helps.

Thanks for advice and any other advice is welcomed

View attachment 212397
Java fern like reasonable flow around the rhizome/roots...if they don't get this they will suffer and become sickly!

I had the similar issues when I have started.
So here my experience:

1) Improper nutrition dosing. I see you are dosing profito and it is only micro. Not sure if your live stock can generate enough macro. Especially when you have CO2, plants demans will be increased.
2) Not enough flow.
3) Poor maintenance. Take a turkey buster and push it on your platns, you will be amazed how much dirt there.
4) Decrease light intensity.
I've ordered tnc complete and changing to thar fert has its complete so I have been questioning the profito. I've just purchased a sow 4 to improve flow but the ones I've pictured all have good flow so it's strange.

Plants do need a good cleaning I'm not going to deny that and I plan to crack on with it today!
Lights reduced by 2 hrs a day

All fingers toes crossed they recover.

Thanks bud

Limnophila sessiliflora (?) at the back seems a bit leggy (compared to mine anyway). Not enough light?
They started has 2 pieces very small and they growing that quick I'm cutting and replanting every 2 days. Not sure why they got so leggy though I did wonder my self

Hi @clayton1994
Remove damaged leaves on the Java fern and trim the discoloured trailing roots!
Remove the damaged leaves on the Crypt!
Those leaves on both plants will not recover and are using energy from the plant to keep them actively alive.
Remove the Trident fern attach it to hardscape and position it where it gets decent flow rates!
You don't need to lower the light 6 hours is good.

All advice taken on board, the scissors are coming out now. I've changed the time back to 6hrs and lowered the light to a max of 65%. Should I trim any damaged leafs on all plants? I've also brought a wave maker where shall I place it? Tia

The tank In general has came on loads this is 5 month apart!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102_093112_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20231102_093112_Facebook.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 76
: Should I trim any damaged leaves on all plants? I've also brought a wave maker where shall I place it? Tia
I always remove damaged leaves....my reason, they degrade and pollute the water column.
That Java fern looks a tad cramped, maybe you could relocate it by tying it to a piece of wood or stone.
Place the wave maker directed toward where the Java ferns are going to be a regular feature....as they need a lot of flow around the rhizomes to flourish.

I always remove damaged leaves....my reason, they degrade and pollute the water column.
That Java fern looks a tad cramped, maybe you could relocate it by tying it to a piece of wood or stone.
Place the wave maker directed toward where the Java ferns are going to be a regular feature....as they need a lot of flow around the rhizomes to flourish.
I've got the controllable wave maker but it still seems to powerful and pushes some of the plants over 😔

Inline mate, have been debating a reactor but currently, it's a JBL inline
Right, you could try directing the wavemaker toward a corner!

Back