• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Inline heater for 6mm tube?

agol77

Hi all

When I don't need to suck out detritus from my tank, I use a semi automatic water change system, where I run an airline from my weir, straight out of the window, and have a HMA filter (from Devotedly Discus) running in to my sump, attached to a float valve. This works well, and I can leave it for 12-24 hours to do a decent size water change on my 1200 litre set up.

The only problem I have with this is that during the winter, when tap water is really cold, my tank temp can drop as much as 5 degrees C, which isn't ideal. My questions are:

Does anyone know if there's a way I can instal an inline heater in the 6mm HMA feed?

Are there fittings available that would convert the 6mm tube to a larger diameter so I could use one of the Hydor inline heaters?

If that is possible, would there be enough flow for the heater to be effective, and/or would the low flow damage the heater?

This isn't urgent, as with summer around the corner, this system doesn't seem to cause any noticeable drop in tank temp, but I'd like to get it sorted for next winter.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I don't need to suck out detritus from my tank
Depends how dirty your tank is.. I only do it when i see it accumulate and becommes kinda unsightly.. For these are only 2 3 square inch spots.. The rest i do not tough. :) If i hoover over the substrate a lot comes up what i actualy do not see with the nacked eye due to the dark substrate color. I think it also wont hurt, it finaly sinks deeper into the substrate and turn into plant food. But if you have a light colored sand, you just might be up to detritus sucking more often.

Regarding the heater, search yotube for "king of diy" he shows an easy way to convert a regular submersible heater into an inline heater. I guess 6 mm it aint for a huge tank and a few quit 50 watt heater might do. It's made of regular pvc tubing with a T and a uniseal, this can easily be reduced down with PVC glue in reducers and tube connectors of all sizes. The heater has a build in thermostat of course, so it actualy can never overheat, so even if there is no flow at all, if it ever starts to boil the thermostat is trashed. If the low flow is enough to keep the water volume stable s a mater of trail and error. I have no idea how much litre p/h 6mm can push. 10 mm pushes easily 250l p/h if the height aint to much, that i know.. :)

Back