• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

Post by a new member reminded me of this I 3D printed a few weeks back! With articulated legs!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_82fa289c.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_82fa289c.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 48
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_32759ac5.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_32759ac5.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 38
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_b4c118f6.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.25_b4c118f6.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 40
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.26_ca829555.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-01-27 at 11.54.26_ca829555.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 38
I guess, my main other hobby would be collecting vintage Star Wars and Action Force toys. It's pretty much ground to a halt for various reasons, over the last year or two, though. They hold so much nostalgia for me.

Other than that, I started to learn to DJ a few months ago (something I've always wanted to have a go at)- bought a 'starter' set and have really enjoyed it. Don't think I'd ever feel confident enough to do it live though...

Enjoy cooking as well :) Saturday afternoons, with Gilles Peterson/Craig Charles on the radio (6 Music), a couple of cold beers, loads of different spices at hand. My special time alone in the kitchen- very precious!

I have had a number of hobbies in my time. Here are most of them.

• Sports (badminton, squash, hockey, cycling, swimming). Due to a ruptured Achilles playing hockey I am now limited with what I can do. Currently I do a bit of swimming.
  • Photography. Mainly given that up now.
  • Watches. I have reduced my collection to a few treasured pieces.
  • Hot tub. That got expensive and I didn’t use it enough so that went!
  • Flying. I have a lapsed pilots licence. That also got really expensive but I work in aviation so it was a good thing to have done.
  • Motorcycles. Had many bikes in my time. The last one I sold when I decided I wanted a sports car instead.
  • Sports cars. I had a Caterham 7 for 14 years. As I am getting old and wanted more comforts I sold the Caterham and bought a BMW Z4 M40i
  • I love playing games on my PlayStation.
  • And of course... aquariums

So now it is basically the sports car, the PS5 and aquariums!

Hi all,
although I'm going to do more once my knees finally disintegrate and cricket is no longer an option.
I've now retired from cricket (and Dad's taxi), although it has been pins and needles in fingers that has finished me off (Cricket not Dad's taxi, I've managed to evict the children). I was expecting the end of cricket would be something fairly gory and traumatic so in some ways it has been a relief, although in other ways I need some new anecdotes and "removed from the pitch by air ambulance" would have done.

cheers Darrel

Trappist Westvleteren is brewed by the monks of the Sint-Sixtus abbey.

One of Belgium's most priced and exclusive beers brewed in a limited edition. The sale of the beer is not for commercial purposes and is available only to individuals who have registered in advance. Also, the maximum amount you can buy is strictly limited... Nowadays they offer orders with home delivery but also very limited and P&P is quite pricy. Collections need to be picked up personally at the Abbey anyway, so what the heck one of us just drove the 300km to pick it up ourselves... :) You really have to sit on top and watch it like a hawk, as we say it's sold out within a "sigh and a fart". A wooden crate with the deposit is +/- €70 when picked up personally.

Was it worth all the hassle? From one beer lover to another "Hell yes!" :woot: You need to even if it's only once in a lifetime. A beer you'll never forget, getting your hands on it is already an adventure makes drinking it even more special.

Actually from Dover to the Saint Sixtus Abbey is a shorter route.

1716108168075.png

Remember posting this last summer Marcel @zozo ?
When I first saw it I remember thinking that's pretty cool, wish I lived near a Trappist monastery so I could try their beer too.
Well I was using Google Earth yesterday, looking at my local area for places to walk to and visit, and stumbled on this. . .

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 09.15.06.png

Scarcely daring to believe my luck I investigated further, and found their website. . .

Then this

Apparently they managed a dairy herd as a main source of income but falling prices meant that became unviable. So they turned to their brothers in Norcia, Westvleteren, Saint-Wandrille, and Zundert for assistance in starting a brewing operation, which became established over 2017-2018.

Apart from a year away, I've lived in this area for 8 years and never realised this was on my doorstep. That's perhaps taking myopia to the limit, although to be fair they were still herding cattle when I first moved here. But I still need to get out more!

Talking of which, know where I'm going Monday :cool:

Can't remember if I have said this before?
I've been riding a Skateboard for most of my life.
Brought my first one back from USA when I was 6 years old.
I still have it!
When I was a teen my friends and I started what is now a very successful skatepark that is indoors.
Its a charity.
I'm now 52 I think? and was skating at Sainsbury's Carpark last night with my son at 11pm.
Aching like no other😂.

I'm new to aquariums -- since January, when I got a 10 gallon for my daughter's bedroom to interest her whilst on bed-rest.

I used to breed hens and sell eggs and run chicken keeping courses, it was one of those hobbies/income blurred line things. My deteriorating health and that of my daughter meant I had to stop doing it -- and the rabbits and the veg garden and the ducks and the whole self-sufficiency thing.

Mostly now I'm a carer, but I read, a lot, sff mostly. And I write romance, which is one of those blurred hobbies/income things. And I still potter in the garden, but I'm trying to move to permaculture/polyculture/perennials to make it all easier.

I think the growing number of tanks in the house is filling my empty livestock niche left by the hens :).

View attachment 219434

Remember posting this last summer Marcel @zozo ?
When I first saw it I remember thinking that's pretty cool, wish I lived near a Trappist monastery so I could try their beer too.
Well I was using Google Earth yesterday, looking at my local area for places to walk to and visit, and stumbled on this. . .

View attachment 219432

Scarcely daring to believe my luck I investigated further, and found their website. . .

Then this

Apparently they managed a dairy herd as a main source of income but falling prices meant that became unviable. So they turned to their brothers in Norcia, Westvleteren, Saint-Wandrille, and Zundert for assistance in starting a brewing operation, which became established over 2017-2018.

Apart from a year away, I've lived in this area for 8 years and never realised this was on my doorstep. That's perhaps taking myopia to the limit, although to be fair they were still herding cattle when I first moved here. But I still need to get out more!

Talking of which, know where I'm going Monday :cool:
Looking forward to Tuesdays post🙂

Looking forward to Tuesdays post🙂
Further to my post above. Visited Mount Saint Bernard Abbey today, accompanied by my wife. Beautiful place, very well kept and very peaceful. Picked up a few bottles of beer. Both the Blond and the Ale are full bodied with distinctive flavour. The Blond is like an IPA, and the Ale a malty stout. Will be going back for more soon :)

IMG_8847.jpeg

Back