• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

UV

can anyone tell me if UV reduces algae?
do you all use them?
can you recommend a good one for me, I have 450 litres, and will have 900 litres.
how do you have uv? in a filter or is there other ways?

also I am not sure if I posted in the correct place, apologies if I was wrong

can anyone tell me if UV reduces algae?

UV, at the right intensity, can kill algae cells but only the ones in the water passing through it, although it tends to be used in ponds to make green water flocculate so that the filter can take it out of the water, in aquaria it tends to run at higher intensities, intended to kill microorganisms and microflora/fauna, which is what puts me off, I like my microflora/fauna.

So overall, it's good for green water, but not really for static algae.

do you all use them?

I don't, and I suspect you won't get many yesses.

can you recommend a good one for me, I have 450 litres, and will have 900 litres.

Only advice I can give is to make sure the flow is right, IME that's why they sometimes don't do what people expect, they need the right flow rate.

how do you have uv? in a filter or is there other ways?

Most of the good units are freestanding, you'll find them in marine sections more than freshwater. Separate units gives you control of the flow without messing with the overall filter rates, some of the more advanced thermofilter types have different flow rates through different sections by design, but I hate not having control and not having my cabinet look like a mad scientists work bench.

Hi,

I used have marine tanks and I kept the UV I had when I switched to a planted freshwater for the first time. This is the only reason I had one to start with. The first tank did really well and therefore I have kept on using UV lights since then and I have never had green water problem or diseases in my tank...I am not 100% sure this is the reason why, but it works and I am happy with it...

I use TMC's vecton V2 UVs, works well, easy to change the bulbs and clean, If you get one then I would recommend these.

As per previous response, the flow is the important thing. If the flow is too high, and UV to weak, then it won't have enough time to "burn" the fauna/flora you want to get rid of. So, check the flow rate on your filter and choose a UV light accordingly. Considering that flow is usually much higher in planted tank than more traditional tank, you will probably have to choose a UV light that is rated for a bigger tank than you have.

Last thing, I use mine during the night only, I believe it sets a balance between having good stuff circulating around the tank and bad stuff being destroyed...

I hope this helps...

Back