• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planting tweezers

Fluxtor

Hi, I have the superfish twin pack of tweezers and find planting with them a bit hit and miss. Now, this is most likely a combination of my lack of experience and the fact I'm planting straight into aqua-soil (fluval stratum) which may not be deep enough. Are there good and bad tweezers to use or are they all much for much? I've looked at some of the others like ADA and £50 for a pair of tweezers seems like robbery or do you really get what you pay for?

What are all you guys using?

I have ADA pinsettes, they are very good.

You don't need them, but they feel really nice to use and they do easily come out of the substrate without pulling plants back out.

Hi, I have the superfish twin pack of tweezers and find planting with them a bit hit and miss. Now, this is most likely a combination of my lack of experience and the fact I'm planting straight into aqua-soil (fluval stratum) which may not be deep enough. Are there good and bad tweezers to use or are they all much for much? I've looked at some of the others like ADA and £50 for a pair of tweezers seems like robbery or do you really get what you pay for?

What are all you guys using?

Take a look at these

I bought some cheap ones then put the ends in the vice and gave them a little outward bend so that the bottom 15mm or so sit completely flat to each other when closed. Means I get even grip along the plant stem and then pull up straight rather than outwards when I remove them.

Last edited:
It's a weird one. I have the Oase black ones that go off at an angle for some reason. Couldn't see them near the soil, so I sanded the black off. They're in a set with scissors.
Then I went ADA. The rest is history.
I figured that when I'm dead and gone my son can cash in and sell them any day of the week. Probably for more than I paid!

Honestly, it's just practice I reckon.

Check out this link. Hilarious and informative/ persuasive video from Owain

Brilliant and very persuasive as you say. I've watched a few of his videos and liked them a lot but looks like he hasn't posted any new content for a while!

Hi Everyone
The aquascaping tools are longer versions of surgical instruments. If you compare surgical instruments made in South Asia (cheap) vs German (super expensive), functionally there isn’t much difference. If you practice enough with your manual dexterity you will get both to work. The German made instruments are extremely well made and more durable. It’s like driving to London in a Honda Civic vs a BMW 7 series. Both will get you there in the end but one in style and comfort.

The forceps (tweezers) should have a good spring action, tips that are aligned and serrated. The forceps should be held as a pencil with grace and poise. Your hand motion should be like a ballerina and not like a drunk elephant in a tea shop! Be precise and purposeful.

I’d suggest doing some simulation training as follows. Tie some 5cm lengths of string together to make a plant. Practice planting them in a container with substrate. Keep practicing until you figure out what works well for you. Your training aim should be to plant the string plant in one try, without pulling it back out.

The JBL ones seem pretty hard to get hold of compared to some of them! Lot's of ADA ones around but hardly surprising at £50 a pop lol!

My tropica are fine, and like Owains video a massive improvement on some random ones. I haven't had experience of others but I can't imagine them being so much better that it's worth ADA money until you have cash to burn or you're planting out whole tanks on a monthly basis. My view on it anyway

I found these recently at a local reptile shop. They are a bit chunky but robustly build. It will do the job. £6-10.

Attachments

• IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2695.jpeg
    IMG_2695.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 20
Brilliant and very persuasive as you say. I've watched a few of his videos and liked them a lot but looks like he hasn't posted any new content for a while!
His planting demonstration can best be described as clumsy.
Following, as I'm looking to replace all my cheap crappy ones
the ones from the reptile shop were good quality

If you’re serious in the hobby, just get the Ada in L or XL, you won’t regret.

The other ones are often too heavy and hard to handle.
I would like to add that I’m not an Ada fanboy, but after testing loads of tools, the 2 that aren’t to be missed from Ada are the pinsettes and eventually the pro wave scissors.

I bought mine second hand as the retail price is so high, but you could always ask an Ada tool for Christmas for example.

A good pair of scissors is needed to work properly as a nice pinsettes, these from Ada makes the work so much more enjoyable.

The rest of the line, including razor, sand scraper, straight scissors could easily be replaced by cheaper brands. :)

Back