• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie with Planted Nano Hobbit Dreams

Sylrae

Hi all,

I am getting back into the hobby having previously owned an AquaNano 40 community tank (with a couple of beginner plants) many years ago. While I have retained some basic knowledge I very much feel that I am starting from scratch again! I have enjoyed reading many of the threads here as I have been learning again.

This time around I have bought a small Fluval Spec V tank, for which I have some lofty ambitions! I'd love to turn it into a similar replica of the much admired hobbit/shire tank, with a few differences.

So far I have the tank, a 3/4 coconut hide which I hope will serve as the structural base for my hobbit hole, and I am ordering a driftwood bonsai to turn into a tree. After reading lots of guides and reviews I also plan on using ADA Amazonia Aquasoil (v2) for the first time and attempting a dry start method for carpeting plants. (Currently waiting for the Aquasoil to be restocked everywhere!)

I look forward to reading more of your informative threads, enjoying your awesome tank pictures and listening to some expert advice to keep me on the right track ;)

Best wishes,
Syl

I went for a mix of Amazonia 2 and Amazonia Powder for my Nano. If I was to rescape, it would be 100% ADA Amazonia Powder. The finer grain size is much nicer in my opinion.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all :)

Welcome. Why not start a journal? with pics.
I'm not sure if it would be interesting for anyone, but I'll definitely consider it! I'm pretty sure I'll need guidance at various points and a journal would certainly be useful for people to be able to advise.

I went for a mix of Amazonia 2 and Amazonia Powder for my Nano. If I was to rescape, it would be 100% ADA Amazonia Powder. The finer grain size is much nicer in my opinion.
I read mixed reviews about the powder with people suggesting there was too much dust and it broke down/turned to mush quite quickly. How did you find it in terms of longevity and maintenance? It is a nano tank and I would like carpeting plants, so definitely agree the powder grain size would be more practical (and more aesthetically pleasing) in that regard!

My tank is only three months old so I don’t know about longevity only aesthetics. I thought the mix would look cool, but the bigger grains look too chunky.
Perhaps all large grains would look better if all small is not long lasting.

Back