• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

medicines for fungus.

hazeljane

Hi all, a couple of my male congos have been fighting and i have noticed the pair of them have fungus growths on their sides,from fighting. I have been keeping my eye on it for a bit and it doesnt seem to be going(if any thing it seems to be worse) :( :(
Is there any medicnes i can dose?
The problem is the tank there in is full of crs and trying to catch them is out of the question as it is 6ft and fully planted :D

Thanks in advance.

Stu. :D

Hi all,
Problematic in a big tank, "Melafix" and/or "Pimafix" and water changes are normally recommended of it is not to bad, these are very similar/same active ingredients as "Tea tree" shampoo etc. . If it looks like it is getting worse probably "Furan2" or other fungicide based on acriflavin, but you would need to catch the fish and treat them in a smaller tank.

Once or twice I've had injuries to the cichlids and I've use "adcortyl in orabase" (it is a water-proof human ulcer treatment tha you dab on), this is very effective but has now been dis-continued (this was on economic grounds by the licensing company, rather than for any medical reason), although it is still available over the web as "Kenalog" from NZ., Australia etc.

cheers Darrel

I wouldn't dose any medication into a tank with CRS. If you think your fish are struggling now think about what it would be like if an untold number of unfindable dead CRS were rotting in the tank as well!

I am going to refer you to a little trick that a1matt taught a number of us. Get a big net and put it/hold it in the tank. Let the fish get used to it for a few minutes and do not chase any fish with it. Before long they will stop considering it a threat. Then just wait for the congo to saddle on up next to the net, and with a flick of your wrist, bingo! Good luck!

Thanks for the replys :D :D

Might just see how it goes for now as the fish dont seem to be in any discomfit and are feeding very well.Im doing 50%-60% water changes every week.

Cheers

Stu.

Back