• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting options for hooded 36 inch tank

DrRob

Looking for advice on lighting options after a blow out on my T5 unit.

Tank is an ND aquatics 36x24x18, with low tech plants at the moment. Mainly crypts and anubius with a bit of java fern. Liquid and gas CO2 are both possible (although it's a sumped tank, so I tend to stick to liquid as the gas usage is huge otherwise as it gasses off in the transfers, but not as much as I'd expected), but didn't really seem necessary with the T5's not seeming to really punch too hard through the 24 inches of depth.

The efficiencies of LED's appeal, as do some of the prices of the A-series chihiros, but I'm concerned that the hood will simply burn them from overheating, as well as stopping them from being mounted high enough above the tank. Does anyone have any experience yet with mounting them inside a hood?

Should I just replace the T5 unit? If so, anyone got any experience with the more recent units? I've always stuck to arcadia, but I seem to be going through them on the tanks and viv's at the moment so am getting less and less impressed with the lifespans.

Back