• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this BBA and what should I do?

2FA9E787-C66F-472B-B654-72837F7B0A46.jpeg

Interestingly even areas of algae I didn’t directly treat with Gluteraldehyde are now turning red.

Will monitor and see how things develop.

View attachment 207687
Interestingly even areas of algae I didn’t directly treat with Gluteraldehyde are now turning red.
You probably ended up using quite a lot of glutaraldehyde, meaning that the total level in the general water column ended up in the lethal to algae range.
I hope you will be careful in the future for the sake of your fish 😟 Their lives are more important than algae

Is this from one dose/application? How much did you use/add, and to what size tank?
45L tank. Not sure how much I dosed as I just drained the tank 80% and painted the Gluteraldehyde onto the affected plants with a toothbrush. Quite a high dose is my guess based on my two dead fish and all the algae turning red.

You probably ended up using quite a lot of glutaraldehyde, meaning that the total level in the general water column ended up in the lethal to algae range.
I hope you will be careful in the future for the sake of your fish 😟 Their lives are more important than algae
Glutaraldehyde effects can be insidious, hard to tell till it's too late. Wish i had never used it. if anything, hydrogen peroxide for spot treatments. I'm a novice though. staghorn went away when i got things balanced by listening closely to experts here.

You can stay out of trouble with glutaraldyde by first measuring out the maximum amount you would want to add to the water column and using that to paint with. When that's all used up, you stop painting and put the water back. E.g. 45L of water (actually measure how much water you have - hardscape takes up volume) if you did double-strength glutaraldehyde for the whole 45L you would use a maximum of 0.9 ml: regular dose 1 ml / 100L applied double strength to 2 ml / 100L.

Back