• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is 8ppm Ammonia TOO MUCH for a cycling tank?

Aqua Hero

So after many many years I've decided to comeback into the hobby. I've got the tank setup and running (soil and hardscape all setup).

To avoid algae issues and constant water changes I decided to go through the 'Dark Start' method where you cycle the tank with no plants and light.

I did add some root tabs (miracle gro) in the substrate before flooding. It's been approximately a week and my ammonia readings are 8ppm.

I've been reading alot that above 4ppm is too much and will stall the cycle and kill the bacteria (I do find it hard to believe that their food source would kill them unless you can overfeed bacteria?) And other sources say that it's a myth and that it's fine and I should just wait.

I did add Tetra SafeStart in the beginning and had the usual bacteria bloom and then it cleared but now I'm adding a small bottle of seachem stabilty (following the instructions)

1. Is it worth it to continue with the Dark Start method or I'm I better off planting the tank and doing the water changes (it's only a 25L Tank)?

2. Are the ammonia levels too high for the bacteria to colonise and should I do a water change to reduce the levels or is it perfectly fine?

Specs:
25 Litre Tank (40cmx25cmx25cm)
Tropica Substrate 1L
Trolica Aquasoil 3L
Miracle gro root tabs
Aqauclear 20

Cheers

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hello mate. I never tested when i was doing dark start , tbh i would leave it alone for 3-4 weeks .

If you live near in or near London i am happy to give you tank water or some old filter media.

I had a tank running so i just sqeezed old sponge into the new tank which helped

Hi all,
I did add some root tabs (miracle gro) in the substrate before flooding. It's been approximately a week and my ammonia readings are 8ppm.
The root tabs are probably leaching ammonia <"I made a substrate from hell, i want to change it"> . I'd change some water (probably all of it) every couple of days, until <"ammonia levels reduce drastically">.
I've been reading alot that above 4ppm is too much and will stall the cycle and kill the bacteria (I do find it hard to believe that their food source would kill them unless you can overfeed bacteria?)
It is <"definitely too much">. I'd actually go further and say that any <"measurable levels of ammonia"> is too much. If you had an <"Ion Selective Electrode"> available to you? "Measurable" would become less than 1 mg / L.

The reasons are to do with <"the microbial assemblage">, which is fine tuned, over time, to the TAN ammonia loading.

We have a thread with a contribution from Dr Timothy Hovanec <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements">. Tim has also written an article for Marine Aquarists which is well worth a read <"Tim Hovanec's "Nitrification in marine aquarium" article">.

I have a lot of time for Dr Hovanec.
And other sources say that it's a myth and that it's fine and I should just wait.
Have a look at: <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">.

I'm going to say that the main difference between UKAPS and other sources is that we've actually talked to scientists (like Dr Newton) working on nitrification in aquatic systems, rather than just repeating the same, <"totally scientifically discredited">, nonsense that you get from other people, <"but I maybe biased">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hello mate. I never tested when i was doing dark start , tbh i would leave it alone for 3-4 weeks .

If you live near in or near London i am happy to give you tank water or some old filter media.

I had a tank running so i just sqeezed old sponge into the new tank which helped
I do live in London. South East in Thamesmead. I would love to get some old media if it will help speed up the process.

I'm mainly doing it to avoid algae and save money on the water bill

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Hi all,
I would love to get some old media if it will help speed up the process.
It looks the best method, it is the one aquarists have used traditionally and this was what <"Dr Newton said">:
....... If you do need to add nitrifiers the best source is from an aquaponics or aquaculture system that is already running and removing ammonia. Some water or sediment/soil or part of the biobilter (if there is one) is an excellent starter. Without this source as an inoculum then you could add some roots from plants from any other tank that is running - these are likely to have nitrifiers associated with them. A small clipping put into the tank would be enough.

In some lab tests we found that adding previous material from a running biofilter could reduce ammonia oxidation start-up time from 2-3 weeks to 2-3 days. We also tested a commercial product of nitrifiers & it did decrease the time to ammonia oxidation start-up. It was slower than our biofilter material transfer, but much quicker than doing nothing. However, the microbes present in the system from the commercial product disappeared over a few weeks and were replaced by those more common to our system. So, it seems some products could help “jump-start” the process, but it will be a lot less predictable and ultimately may not determine what microbe succeed in the long run. .......
<"A rooted plant"> (with some substrate) would also do.

cheers Darrel

Back